Home > Trip Reports > Snoqualmie Mtn Trees, Feb 16 and Feb 22.

Snoqualmie Mtn Trees, Feb 16 and Feb 22.

2/16/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by lrudholm on 2/22/14 7:31am
With low snow levels and massive amounts of snowfall here in the NW my old friend snoqualmie mtn kept calling my name. It was easy to convince stevens pass snow commuters to take a day off and head to a closer location.

Feb 16th. Knee deep tree skiing, mid mountain laps and a booter(sailer).

We broke trail up to about 5,000 ft where the snow was too wind affected and dangerous on the upper elevations. The snow was a little heavier down low so we decided to lap the mid mountain glades and old growth.

Saign took the opportunity to create some "friction" between slowboarders and photographic telemarkers.

Ben getting scared of the white room.

Justin practicing spraying. Gotta get it right before spraying the telemarketer.

On our second lap Saign made an executive decision and built a kicker at the top of one of the nice rolling glades. This kicker was a real sailoooor!

Snowboarders do enjoy air.

Ben surprised us all with a backflip.

I really just wanted to play photographer with my new camera but I was convinced to show them proper technique.

Eventually beer thirty came around so we headed down the mountain and cautiously picked our way down the hazardous terrain.

The snow was heavy and sucked on the lower mountain.

We capped off the day at the North Bend bar and grill with some beer, then the 5 day week came. Some worked, some skied alpental, and some navigated avy control work in the quest for powder.(Happiness)

Alas all work weeks must come to an end luckily Saign, Ben and I had friday freed up for some more pow shredding. With a similar avy forecast and even lower snow levels it was easy to group up and ski the exact same thing.

We had a late start at 9:20 am. Which worked in our favor because we were able to follow a really nice skintrack all the way up.

Thanks early morning dawn patroller!
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1796491_518217883175_295184628_n.jpg" />

I laughed at the gaper slowboarders.

The snow up higher in the glades was wind buffed this time.

This time we lapped from 5,000 ft to 3,000 with the best snow down low. Again hazardous terrain required top notch navigation skills

We celebrated Saigns birthday with a birthday booter! No stripper so we had to improvise some dance moves.

We built it bigger and with more lip so Ben could go upside down.

Remember kids don't forget to strab you helmet on.

Saign crushed it

Beer thirty called again and the snow was fast so we ripped it all the way down in windbuff, to looser knee deep pow down low. Really nice old growth, cliffs, pillows and radness all the way down. I love this run!!!

Stay safe and have fun out there!

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for the report! Is this directly across I-90 from West?

Across the street from Alpental. I think its in the guide book.

the pic with the helmet is a classic!

great photos, leyland!

it seems like it's been awhile since i've spent an afternoon hanging out at a kicker.  but with the slightly unstable snow keeping me away from any big BC lines, the crowds keeping me away from the resort on weekends, and work keeping me away from the amazing, best of the season midweek resort days... it seemed like the best way to take advantage of the copious pow we've been blessed with lately.  and if i needed any extra motivation, there was leyland and his new camera...

i took the first weekend off from carrying my own camera (unintentionally), but got a few shots of my own on our second trip back to "kicker hill".

the man with the fancy new camera puttin in the work to get the shots!

with all the high snow level storms we've had this year, these were my first trips to snoqualmie pass--i'd almost forgotten how much fun the cliff-strewn terrain here can be on a good pow day!

yep, this is how i celebrate my birthday, too (at least when i'm in the southern hemisphere since it's in august).

the master shaper acquiesced to my suggestion that we give it "a bit more pop this time".

someone's gotta keep those gaper splitboarders in line!

it seems like almsot every line ends with something fun.

thanks for the photos, leyland!  i was pretty bummed about missing all those great midweek resort days, but these tours put a smile back on my face!

sadly, i'm writing this from sea tac, waiting for a plane to sunny california... looks like work is about to cost me another week of pow.  but hopefully i'll be back in time to catch buzz brump at steven's pass next weekend.  see y'all there!

Rad photos Ben, and Leyland! Thanks for coming out on my Bday

Here's the video from our shenanigans

https://vimeo.com/87535482

Way entertaining.  Nice shots!

It's about time some folks built a BC kicker and got rad!

nice pics.  next time if you'd be so kind to share the kicker love.....otherwise it's just gonna get bum rushed.  i mean it goes w/o saying if you're gonna photog & blog sharing specific locations might as well share the fruits of your labor in the moment too.  8)

author=mc link=topic=30860.msg129449#msg129449 date=1393370296]
nice pics.  next time if you'd be so kind to share the kicker love.....otherwise it's just gonna get bum rushed.  i mean it goes w/o saying if you're gonna photog & blog sharing specific locations might as well share the fruits of your labor in the moment too.   8)

Once we were done with it, everybody and their mother can hit it for all I care. But there's only so much fresh snow in the landing, and there's no room for bomb holes from people who didn't help. If you want to hit a kicker, build one, don't try and poach someone else's . There's plenty of spots for it. You don't want to build one, go to the resort.

Haven't you ever heard the unwritten rule of BC booters: Thow shalt not hit, what thow hasn't built. The only exception to that rule is if someone invites you to hit their jump, not the other way around.

Thanks for the video! Watching yourself ski powder never gets old.

@MC... Sorry man, we hadn't hit it yet and we didn't want some idiot snowboarders hitting our fresh kicker. ;) Totally would have been cool if you hung out and chatted us up a bit. Maybe trade a packet of shot blocks. :)

regardless of where, when, and by whom it was built....we're gonna take it to the hilt.  too much pow to slay to hang around and spray.  are shot blocks similar to cock blocks?  now if we're talking about sharing doobies, then yeehaw i'm in.

author=mc link=topic=30860.msg129492#msg129492 date=1393396476]
regardless of where, when, and by whom it was built....we're gonna take it to the hilt.  too much pow to slay to hang around and spray.  are shot blocks similar to cock blocks?  now if we're talking about sharing doobies, then yeehaw i'm in.

Cock blocks as in riding down on top of the skin track like you guys did? Cause that's a sure fire way to make friends and be invited to hit a jump.

i wasn't there on friday.  but people talk.

i was there sunday and watched many clowns ripping on top of the skin track.  sad. brought tears to my eyes.  our group didn't cross the skin track once.  but that's just how we do it.  you wouldn't know it though cuz we leave the sloggin & bloggin to others.

author=mc link=topic=30860.msg129537#msg129537 date=1393443187]
i wasn't there on friday.  but people talk.

i was there sunday and watched many clowns ripping on top of the skin track.  sad. brought tears to my eyes.  our group didn't cross the skin track once.  but that's just how we do it.  you wouldn't know it though cuz we leave the sloggin & bloggin to others.

Oh, my bad.

I get it now, your just a troll, who's too lazy to set their own skin track or build their own jump.

Yo check it MC Kooksteady. Go gape on someone elses thread

mc kook....i like that.  gonna run with that one.  i must have mad trolling skills cuz dem panties be all wadded up.  and no need for me to gape this thread as the pics above already have that locked down.  BOOM  mofo's be getting sprayed on the skintrack.

srsly though....just having some fun causing a ruckus on here.  been awhile since i've seen that in these parts and certain folks were banned.

next time let's share some doobs, brews, and air time.  hang loose baby.  shaka zulu.  eights and elevens.

prez em cee kooksteady... it's got flow.

you kids play nice now. If you work together, next time you can build a hill to land on instead of that flat ass meadow... you're already halfway to having your own chad's gap!

fun report, and follow up clowning.

Oh snap,

Is that da prez aka MC Kooksteady trollin strait off da choom wagon?

hahahaha...choom wagon.  i'm going to have to borrow that one.  reminds me of the van scene from fast times at ridgmont high.  good stuff!

mc kook out.

Reply to this TR

snoqualmie-mtn-trees-feb-16-and-feb-22
lrudholm
2014-02-22 15:31:59