telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 06:10 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  February 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Feb. 21,2014 Stemilt Avalanche observation's
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feb. 21,2014 Stemilt Avalanche observation's  (Read 2658 times)
jtack

Feb. 21,2014 Stemilt Avalanche observation's
« on: 02/22/14, 09:22 AM »

I was interested to see what affect the wind event of the 20th had on the snow, so took a quick tour into the Stemilt Basin.  I have not been over that way for awhile, but I was not surprised to see there had been several natural releases, I'm not sure they were related to the wind event, or were part of the earlier storm snow loading.  From what I could see it looked like they slid on the ground contact.  I dug a pit, to see what I could see, the wind built yet another denser layer over soft snow below.  In three column test, two failures occurred in the lower density snow below the wind slab, and one occurred as a sudden collapse  at the ground contact.    I was told that the basin to the SE had a large failure caused by snowmobile's but did not travel over there to look.

avajane

Re: Feb. 21,2014 Stemilt Avalanche observation's
« Reply #1 on: 02/22/14, 10:56 AM »

Wow - some of those failures look pretty low angle. I'm going out for a look myself to get some exercise and exploring in the valley.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Andrew Carey

« Reply #2 on: 02/22/14, 11:15 AM »

sure looks like our snowpack is hugely variable and complex.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
aaron_wright

« Reply #3 on: 02/22/14, 05:22 PM »

Interesting, you skinned over from the Outback I assume. It would be interesting to take a look at the top after a hike to Microwave. I rarely ski that lower stuff and usually head up and over the bench before I get to that open slope that the ski blaze dumps you out on. I think the folks on snowbikes weren't too far from that spot.
mikerolfs

« Reply #4 on: 02/23/14, 09:48 PM »

two days later:2-23  Jamie and I looked in from the top.  On the way there, we saw this crown in a popular run off of the Microwave ridge called "last tree" (intentionally triggered by patrol with explosives)

We poked in to the top of Stemilt Basin and sawed off a small cornice to see if we could trigger something; no result.  Then we roped up and jumped up and down on a suspect slope; no result.

We dug a pit and found 100cm of well bonded snow over an ice layer, over 30 cm of sugar.  My column test failed just under the ice layer and Jamie's failed lower, in the sugar, near the ground.  Being with Jamie is like having a personal snow science instructor, I enjoyed every minute.  It was a great day with almost no skiing.  We headed home the way we had come and didn't make any turns in Stemilt. 

Exit through bowl four with a visit to the Patrol's 8 foot crown at the humps.  Wind has blown in snow reducing the visible crown to about half a body height.  Still very impressive.  Here are pics:

It isn't dark out.  I played with the contrast to try to make the snow features visible.  The light was very flat.

and for those with 3 minutes and 49 seconds to kill, here are our attempts at triggering a slide.  We gave it our best, but didn't succeed.

http://youtu.be/E1sOIWcms1s
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.