Home > Trip Reports > February 21, 2014, Cascade Lakes, Todd Lake Butte?

February 21, 2014, Cascade Lakes, Todd Lake Butte?

2/21/14
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 2/21/14 10:19am
Going out to dinner so I will fill out the TR more later.

Skied the north face of the butte above Todd Lake near Mt. Bachelor. North facing slopes are skiing well with moderate density snow. West and south faces are fairly nuked and will have a sun crust tomorrow. 4-6 inches of new snow on top of a weak melt freeze crust.

While it takes a two km flat skin in along the Cascade Lakes Highway to get to this zone it is worth it. Some of the best tree skiing I have ever skied can be found on the north face of the butte along with 4 small avalanche paths and some steep pillows that form the start zones of these avalanche paths.
Not really too much more to add about this trip. Higher elevations were beat up by the wind. The alpine  slopes on the northwest face of Mt. Bachelor had enormous wind sculptures on it. The only visible slides were on a small lee slope leading up to Broken Top and an old small slide in one of the chutes we skied. The slides on the small slope leading up to Broken Top appeared to be caused by cornice failure.

Does anyone know the name of the mountain/zone above Todd Lake?

author=Skier of the Hood link=topic=30848.msg129170#msg129170 date=1393108186]
Not really too much more to add about this trip. Higher elevations were beat up by the wind. The alpine  slopes on the northwest face of Mt. Bachelor had enormous wind sculptures on it. The only visible slides were on a small lee slope leading up to Broken Top and an old small slide in one of the chutes we skied. The slides on the small slope leading up to Broken Top appeared to be caused by cornice failure.

Does anyone know the name of the mountain/zone above Todd Lake?

It looks as though you skied what is called Little Alaska. Northern rim of Todd lake. It usually holds good snow when other areas are heavy and wet. Nice pictures!

If I lived in Bend, I'd be asking you specifically to keep it off line...I understand all the great camaradarie in sharing, but respect people's backyards...

author=TLock link=topic=30848.msg129396#msg129396 date=1393342336]
If I lived in Bend, I'd be asking you specifically to keep it off line...I understand all the great camaradarie in sharing, but respect people's backyards...

Whoops, I think you are on the wrong site!  I know that you're not supposed to feed the trolls, but I couldn't resist.

author=TLock link=topic=30848.msg129396#msg129396 date=1393342336]

Isn't Todd Lake about as big a secret as Tumalo Mountain?

Reply to this TR

february-21-2014-cascade-lakes-todd-lake-butte
Skier of the Hood
2014-02-21 18:19:56