Home > Forum > Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?

Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
17 Feb 2014 11:46 #220452 by astrov
Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious? was created by astrov
www.flickr.com/photos/117914576@N06/12595998175

Broken Dynafit housing; how serious? Still under warranty but it's the middle of ski season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2014 11:54 #220453 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
Super serious, don't ski on it. Send this photo via email to Salewa NA in Boulder, with an explanation - they have been very responsive for me in the past and will probably have the appropriate part in the mail in short order.

try this email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

or the warranty coordinator directly: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PS This is the first generation Speed Radical; is the anti-rotation pin still in place?

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
17 Feb 2014 12:02 #220455 by astrov
Replied by astrov on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
thanks for the quick response. yes, the anti-rotation pin is still in place.

More
17 Feb 2014 13:45 #220459 by gregL
First gen Radicals with anti-rotation pins were prone to breakage there - the next year they went to screw mounted tabs on the brakes for the ST and FT, and ribs on both the base plate and housing of the Speed Radical. I'd suggest upgrading to the new design if possible; if not, you can achieve pretty good results with the original style by running a high lateral release value (9 or 10, if your legs will take it) with no pin.

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
17 Feb 2014 14:19 #220460 by astrov
thanks. What is the danger of continuing to ski these (on moderate terrain, let's say). they might fail w/o warning? I'm going to get it fixed, but not sure if that will happen by say, next weekend.

More
17 Feb 2014 14:28 #220462 by gregL

they might fail w/o warning?

Exactly.

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
17 Feb 2014 14:45 #220463 by astrov
Thanks Greg. Request sent to Dynafit (and I've also linked to this thread).

More
22 Feb 2014 14:48 #220688 by Jonn-E
Replied by Jonn-E on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
I'm going to have to entirely disagree. My speed radicals were like this for 6 months and I charged hard on them fine.  It's just plastic, it's the metal post that counts. I asked a both my local shop guy and a dynafit rep at Vertfest and he said it was not a critical structural issue.  I finally had the parts warrantied, one heel (with housing intact) got a pin replaced and the "broken" heel getting the new hosing with the ribs.

FWIW, the new ribs don't work at all.

More
22 Feb 2014 15:33 #220689 by khyak
Replied by khyak on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
Yeah, not sure the ribs are better than the pin idea. They need to redesign the post so that it doesn't auto-rotate. The old design never auto-rotated. I put a piece of duct tape on top of the ribs and that seems to have helped.

More
23 Feb 2014 16:03 #220719 by gregL

I'm going to have to entirely disagree. My speed radicals were like this for 6 months and I charged hard on them fine.

Glad it worked out for you, but if the housing was structurally sound like that Dynafit probably would have molded it in that shape to save weight. If you load the pins hard in the direction of the ski deck, there's a very good chance you'll break off the small remaining bit of plastic and the heel will fall off, which would be catastrophic even with an intact metal post. And you're right, the ribs don't seem to do much, I watch khyak's spin into ski mode once or twice every time I ski with him.

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
02 Mar 2014 10:34 #220937 by astrov
Poor customer service from Dynafit, which initially indicated they would send a replacement heelpiece, but never sent it. Dynafit has ignored follow-up emails.

I'll be buying bindings from a different manufacturer next time.

More
02 Mar 2014 11:17 #220939 by JoshK
Replied by JoshK on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?

Poor customer service from Dynafit, which initially indicated they would send a replacement heelpiece, but never sent it. Dynafit has ignored follow-up emails.

I'll be buying bindings from a different manufacturer next time.

I had to harass them a few times for a similar heel-piece issue. It finally resulted in new heel pieces, but did require the obnoxious repeated follow up attempts on my part. I have found their customer service to be rather hit-or-miss. I would keep after them; they owe you a replacement.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
02 Mar 2014 20:11 #220943 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
That's too bad.
I don't know if the viper is going to be a leading product, but I do know that BD has been phenomenal w warrantee and customer service for my tele boots/bindings. To the point of choosing to warrantee parts for me rather than have me pay for repairs/small parts.
Maybe it helps that I always start by telling them how much I like their product, how much I appreciate their support, and that I don't expect warrantee on well used product (all true).
Just thought this would be a good place for a little shout out for BD, as I wait for my third set of replacement ski/walk mechanisms for my 5 year old Customs to arrive!

More
02 Mar 2014 22:03 #220946 by drescj
Replied by drescj on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
I've also experienced great customer service/warranty service from BD

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Mar 2014 22:25 - 03 Mar 2014 14:15 #220948 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Broken Dynafit Housing; how serious?
My experience with Dynafit is that they're ultimately good-to-excellent in concern resolution, but that they're not always fast at getting back to you. In one instance it took months; once the problem was escalated to the right person, it was resolved very well within a day or two.

Edit: Just got a reply from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. regarding an inquiry I'd made on Feb 25, so they're answering email.