Home > Trip Reports > July 31, 2005, Heliotrope Ridge

July 31, 2005, Heliotrope Ridge

7/31/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by markharf on 8/1/05 8:39pm
Our summer ski season continues to fulfill, so I thought I'd better post a quick report for the benefit of those not prone to arduous shwacks through devil's club and nettles (or long sea journeys in inflatable boats) in search of turns. I took a quick, half-day tour on Sunday, leaving the trailhead at an unusually early hour (half past noon) to accommodate a dinner guest arriving that evening. Four hours and fifteen minutes later I was on my way home again, having blasted up Heliotrope Ridge, skied down next to the train of climbers on the glacier and trotted downhill again.  

The skiing remains "better than expected" on Heliotrope, just as it has been since last fall.  There are bits of hard ice to negotiate just above the climber's hogsback camp, and I was glad I'd brought aluminum crampons sized to my sneakers, but above 6300 feet or so there was little but clean, creamy corn, an inch or two deep over a solid base.  Runnels and tiny suncups have begun to form on sun-exposed slopes, but I stayed almost entirely on northerly aspects, and these were almost ridiculously smooth. By careful route selection I was able to limit myself to just a couple of "turns" on the hard ice sections between the snowfields, though this may become more difficult in the weeks to come.  

Snowbridges are, as expected, very insubstantial, with crevasses opening in almost random patterns almost everywhere.  I am not usually nervous about this, but it is definitely a year to be extra cautious. In fact, I think I"ll be looking for a partner or two for a tour two weeks hence on one of the other Mt. Baker glaciers; anyone interested in joining me (comfortable wandering intelligently but unroped on moderate terrain) might p.m. me.

I skied three or four times in different areas and on different aspects during July, and I have yet to cross a deep runnel or encounter any bad suncups, or even any significantly dirty snow.  Maybe there'll be some good skiing remaining in September after all.

enjoy,

Mark
Mark,

I must say this was a pleasing report to read.  Good show, Sir.
-s

What kind of coverage is up there in a typical August? Is the only snow going to be on the crevassed parts of the glacier, or are there any remaining non glacial patches up higher?

Reply to this TR

july-31-2005-heliotrope-ridge
markharf
2005-08-02 03:39:08