Home > Trip Reports > July 30-31, 2005, Muir Snowfield

July 30-31, 2005, Muir Snowfield

7/30/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 8/1/05 4:18am
Didn't let the mini-streak die!  The July 31st ski down the Muir Snowfield made eight months and counting...

Met up with Chris aka Scotsman at Camp Muir on Saturday.  It was a fairly windy night up there and I learned that the little giga-stoves do not function well at 10,000' in windy conditions.  I burned through a new 110 gram tank melting 4 liters of water and boiling 2 cups for a freeze dried dinner.  Also learned that my tent is a piece of crap.  Better to learn these things at a place like Muir on a warm summer weekend than another more committing and isolated locale.  Thankfully Chris had a full tank of fuel and the skill to maximize it.  With the help of some stones and a snow wall the tent made it throught the night without incident.

James from Portland...thanks for the offer of the gas, nice to meet you and congrats on your successful summit trip!

The snowfield is sun-cupped and not all that fun to ski on right now.  We skied from Camp Muir at about 11am Sunday in conditions soft enought to set an edge.  Things softened and improved continually down to Pebble Creek where the skis were loaded on to the pack for lack of snow.  I'm looking for other slopes to ski on the remaider of the summer...  Any suggestions?

Scotsman getting busy at 9000':

Lowell, nice to see you and Tom on the trail.  He'll figure it out soon enough ;)
Great to bump into you, Doug. It sure was a nice day up there. Tom and I had a good hike to McClure Rock, up Alta Vista and down Golden Gate. I don't think I've ever seen so many people hiking the trails above Paradise. Nice to see so many people enjoying the park.

Reply to this TR

july-30-31-2005-muir-snowfield
JibberD
2005-08-01 11:18:12