Home > Trip Reports > July 29, 2005, MRNP - Dirty Cups

July 29, 2005, MRNP - Dirty Cups

7/29/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/31/05 8:00pm
After fullfilling my weekly requirement at the cubicle farm I was ready for some turns.  Not wanting to drive too far I limited myself to the big "R".  Now one question remained.  Where?  Being lazy I decided to check out the south side.

Pulled up to the Paradise lot by 9:30am and it was close to 3/4's full.  Was it a holiday or are just more and more people playing hooky from work on this absolute gorgeous Friday?  I started hiking at 10am and it was hot!  So hot not even a group of guided climbers huddled in the middle of the trail could stop me.  As my pleas for people to move fell upon deaf ears I hesitated not to part them with my splitboard.  Wow another good use and still counting.  I arrived at Pebble Creek and instead of trying to avoid the water I walked in it till I found a nice pool to cool my feet and sandals in.  Boy that felt good.

I started skinning about 50ft above Pebble Creek.  Snow was moderately cupped and a hint of dirt blanketed the surface.  At least it was soft.  I thought to myself this maybe more work coming down than going up.  In the distant there were lines etched into the snow that provided plenty motivation.  As I drew near the tracks appeared frozen with the snow melted around it.  Bummer.  With the surface resembling more of that of the moon's, motivation was lost.  I brought my binoculars to scope things out.  The same freakin surface all the way till Anvil.  That was it.  I stopped at 8400ft to harvest what I could.  By 12:30 the clouds from the nw were moving across the snowfield and circling back.  I left when the sun gave way to shadow.  The chewed up boot pack carved well while anything outside was slow.  Best turns were had on the 2 steep headwalls above PC.  Good place to practice edge transfers.  You only had a short distance to fall and plenty of rocks n dirt for a cushion and a creek near by to wash up.  Glad my edges held.

The hike out was mellow.  Between the icefalls from the Nisqually, surrounding wildlife, and tourists there were plenty for the eyes to do.  Back at the car I just felt so incomplete.  The night came and went and after lounging all day Saturday I made a b-line for T-Line at 3am Sunday morning.  Mountain was empty.  Firm cords for breakfast at 7 followed by soft serve in the afternoon.  Do I have to go back to work?

Reply to this TR

july-29-2005-mrnp-dirty-cups
snoslut
2005-08-01 03:00:59