Home > Trip Reports > February 8, paradise, group decisions

February 8, paradise, group decisions

2/8/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 2/10/14 2:03am
After reading some of the other reports from this weekend I thought I would put up a report for a discussion on decision making process more then a conditions report (it was good). 
Earlier in the week we had discussed going to a westerly aspect in the tatoosh, the focus at the time was on finding the best powder with the least amount of tracks.
Friday night I get a text, asking about how I felt about navigation and snow pack, one person was pulling out due to avy concern.  I was 100% confident on the route, but not on the snow, I said that I was completely open to changing our objective.
The next morning at the park and ride we discussed telemetry, looked at a topo, and decided there was a decent possibility of wind slabs in our planned area.  There didn't seem to be a *safe enough* route up.  Everyone agreed to pull the plug and go for something more wind sheltered with low exposure.
Along with a lot of other skiers we ended up on very mellow terrain with tree protection on the ridge.  We started on the mellowest area for two laps, then went to a moderate slope for a few more.  It was great.  Perfect dry powder, not remotely cohesive anywhere (also not bonded at all).  After some much needed face shots we decided to head back to the car for Vitamin R.  I ended up towing a sled for someone on snowshoes who had an injury, thanks to Kristina for the assist on keeping it upright, Ryan and Theresa for helping him get back to his car.

The main thing here that I wanted to bring up is that it is ALWAYS right to voice any concern.  Speak up, if you are thinking it your partner probably is also whether they express it or not.  Listen and really think about any concern your partner/s raise, step back to the beginning of your decision making process if needed.  Type 1 fun is still really fun.  Tutus are always the right choice.

Thanks for the write up Nick. After reading about the avy on Lane I feel even better about the decisions we made yesterday. Not only did we have an awesome time in blower powder, but we had enough energy to help a guy in need at the end of the day. All of us were committed to having a safe time first and foremost, and we facilitated open and honest communication where everyone felt like their input was valuable. I'm definitely going to take this lesson with me moving forward.

Nice report.

The guys in my party and I were hoping to ski the Tat on Saturday as well, but we pulled the plug after the new snow and continued winds. We consistently crossed path all day as we lapped the mellow ridge lines along the road, I was wearing bright green pants and a bright blue jacket.

It looks like the snowpack was sketchy statewide over the weekend, glad everyone is okay and had fun.

One of the coolest reports I've ever read. Seems like people on forums often try to puff their chests no matter what the conditions or situation they encounter. I'm stoked to see a report that admits to playing it safe and just having fun!

Thanks!  I do have to admit that I've made my own mistakes before, more then once, but I'm getting better at saying no.

Kerwinl I was the splitboarder with a bright orange jacket, I don't think I saw anyone else snowboarding on Saturday.  It was definitely a good day, it's nice when the snow is dry and a few crossed tracks don't matter :)

Also on the snowpack note, I went up and climber Persis near Index yesterday.  On the ridge we found some very significant wind slabs, on section strong enough to take my full weight with crampons.  Just next to it a whomping sound and shooting cracks...........twenty feet away completely non-cohesive blower.  Localized wind is tricky.

Well said Nick, totally agreed. Great days don't necessarily have to be on the gnarlyist of the gnar. We kept it mellow, lapping the SE slopes of the Castle-Foss area, skipping among big pockets of crazy light and fun wind deposit. No instabilities were observed and a good time was had by all. Low stress, high reward skiing. Doesn't get much better!

Glad you all had a great day out. It was cool running into you guys at Safeway; we'll have to get after it sometime. Nips could use another splitter to keep him company.

Reply to this TR

february-8-paradise-group-decisions
ND
2014-02-10 10:03:32