Home > Trip Reports > Feb 7, 2014, Patrol route - Dandy Creek to Meany

Feb 7, 2014, Patrol route - Dandy Creek to Meany

2/7/14
Posted by Randito on 2/7/14 4:35pm
Nigel gave Silas and I a snow-machine tow to Dandy Creek where we started following the PCT for the last few miles of the Patrol Route.   For the most part I broke track and Silas busied himself flagging important waypoints.   Wonderful conditions, six inches of nice snow, bluebird skies and little wind, we really enjoyed these condtions -- while they lasted.   A little south of Stampede pass while crossing one of the big powerline swaths the clouds blocked the sun and the wind kicked up.  By the time we reached the powerline swath that leads down to Meany, the wind was howling and the snow in that swath was combination of sastrugi and old freezing rain crust.   Conditions improved on the Meany ski hill.   We did bit of misnavigation following the PCT, so we had to backtrack in a few places to remove misleading flagging.

Patty P feed us some really nice pizza at Meany Lodge -- first time I'd been there, worth checking out.

GPX track of our travels.
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICA2rHkCgw

And more:  (Stampede Pass to Snoqualmie Pass 18 miles, Stampede to Chinook Pass 51 miles!)

Nice pics, same weather pattern as Saturday at Snoqualmie. Nice in the AM, then clouding over /high overcast and more wind in the PM.  So trying to figure out your route. Did you start at Meaney with a tow and then skin back to Meaney?

Nigel gave us a snow-machine tow from Crystal Springs to Dandy Creek -- we then followed the PCT to the powerline swath above Meany Lodge and followed that to Meany.   Getting towed by a snow-machine is sort of like water skiing -- but stinkier and colder -- also suprisingly tiring to the steering and balancing muscles -- at least for me.

Reply to this TR

feb-7-2014-patrol-route-dandy-creek-to-meany
Randito
2014-02-08 00:35:15