Home > Trip Reports > Feb 6, 2014, Red Mtn. Pt 5703 (Cle Elum)

Feb 6, 2014, Red Mtn. Pt 5703 (Cle Elum)

2/6/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 2/7/14 2:16am
No matter how much I talk up the peaks and basins of Red Mountain above Salmon La Sac, they'll never be crowded.  Yes, often one has to endure thin snowpack or breakable crust from 2400 feet to around 3500ft, but the upper half of the mountain has much great terrain.
Yesterday, all aspects N, E, S skied incredibly well, in up to 40cm of super light recycled powder and near surface facets, resting on the supportive intermediary rain crust.  It doesn't get better in the PNW!  It was so cold (0 to 5 degrees F on thermometer) be sure to rewax your bases with the coldest glidewax you can find just to maintain speed in the low angles!  No stability issues whatsoever as the snow was wholly uncohesive and the crust fully supportive above 4000 feet.  (below 4000 the crust was breaking down and we got some dramatic collapsing woomphs on low angles)  On rolls up to 38 degrees we got some fast sluffs to go, but very manageable to ski right through.

The tour:
We tried an oldgrowth approach for a change of pace after skiing the Cooper River Road for about a mile.  Crossing the main logging road that traverses the side of the mountain at about 4200 feet, we entered Basin #2 (what we call it) at the edge of the old clearcut.  Basin 2 is between Pt 5722 and Pt 5703 on the Topo. We stayed on the south side of the creek (climbers left) for an approach in tight forest initially , then alternating glades and wide spaced oldgrowth hemlock, all on a shaded north aspect.  To be skied later!   At the saddle head of the basin we turned south for the short finish to Pt. 5703.

Ski:
First run was the east slope to the south slope of 5703' in more than a foot of super light powder.
Then we skinned back to the east ridge of 5703' and did a number of short north facing runs in Basin #2 with traverses in between.
The exit, well we've come to expect the breakable crust and thin coverage of the low elevation forest and clear cut.  Instead, if you venture that way, use as much logging road in the big clearcut as possible.
Pico and I know this hill well and it fully satisfied once again!  It is always fun when you can wait to decide what you want to do until you are almost through the entire approach.  Hmm, which aspect and which scenic basin do we want to head to today....

Some more Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/sets/72157640641862864/
Where do you park? and/or How far up the road can you typically get via car?  Plowed? 

author=savegondor link=topic=30664.msg128285#msg128285 date=1391809230]
Where do you park? and/or How far up the road can you typically get via car?  Plowed? 

State Route 903 goes through Roslyn and turns into County and USFS Road after the Last Resort.  It is plowed by Kittitas County to Salmon La Sac at a turn around at the Guard station.  Paved and passenger car suitable.  Note: if Kittitas county gets a big dump it may take a few hours for this road to get plowed after the residential roads are done.  The Cooper River Road (46) takes off left from the main Salmon Las Sac road about a mile south of the end of plowing (something like 18 miles from Roslyn).  This road accesses Pete Lake TH in the summer. Parking requires a snowpark permit  (edit 1/16), parallel, along the road between the signs that say "begin parking here... parking this side...end parking here.  Parking is directly across from the Cooper River Road left turn and shared with snomobiles.  Cooper River road is not driveable, it is a groomed snowmobile route.  Ski the Cooper River Road on the grooming for anywhere from 3/4 to 1 mile and turn left up slope through forest leaving the snowmobile traffic as well.  You will enter a clearcut which accesses everything.  Google Earth shows the clear cut, the forest road spurs and basins nicely. 

author=John Morrow link=topic=30664.msg128291#msg128291 date=1391812612]
State Route 903 goes through Roslyn and turns into County and USFS Road after the Last Resort.  It is plowed by Kittitas County to Salmon La Sac at a turn around at the Guard station.  Paved and passenger car suitable.  Note: if Kittitas county gets a big dump it may take a few hours for this road to get plowed after the residential roads are done.  The Cooper River Road (46) takes off left from the main Salmon Las Sac road about a mile south of the end of plowing (something like 18 miles from Roslyn).  This road accesses Pete Lake TH in the summer. Parking is free, parallel, along the road between the signs that say "begin parking here... parking this side...end parking here.  Parking is directly across from the Cooper River Road left turn and shared with snomobiles.  Cooper River road is not driveable, it is a groomed snowmobile route.  Ski the Cooper River Road on the grooming for anywhere from 3/4 to 1 mile and turn left up slope through forest leaving the snowmobile traffic as well.  You will enter a clearcut which accesses everything.  Google Earth shows the clear cut, the forest road spurs and basins nicely. 

Thank a ton for the Beta.  I might try it.  It also makes me want a snowmobile for deeper access up the roads in that area to ski some of the higher peaks.  Goat...Daniel...Hawkins....

Looks great John. Close access to good snow. I'll check it out soon. I'm going to check my area (Hiway 97) for coverage tomorrow.

author=avajane link=topic=30664.msg128317#msg128317 date=1391837348]
Looks great John. Close access to good snow. I'll check it out soon. I'm going to check my area (Hiway 97) for coverage tomorrow.

Hey Brian, will you let me know what you found?  We went back to Red today and it was pretty incredible in 12 to 15 inches of super light powder and recycled powder.  Very little wind effect and what there was was obvious and avoidable.
Thanks,
John

Reply to this TR

feb-6-2014-red-mtn-pt-5703-cle-elum
John Morrow
2014-02-07 10:16:39