Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2014, Radio Tower and Ski Acres Hills

Feb 3, 2014, Radio Tower and Ski Acres Hills

2/3/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 2/3/14 12:44pm
Just a safe and easy day going solo.
Powder in the trees on east slopes continues to hold.
It seems the sun has hit some open east aspects sporadically in partly cloudy skies because a fine sun crust was occasionally present.  It is easy to cut right through it, though.
Going down the northwest side of Ski Acres Hill might be a fun run through open old growth to Lodge Lake in the future.

The tour:

Skinned toward Nordic Pass and then up the south ridge from near Nordic Pass.  Don't, tons of annoying dog hair and blowdown. Come in from the radio tower access road on the northeast.
Skied the forested east slope (steep at top) to Frog lake area.
Then through Grand Junction to the 2nd powerline to access Surveyor Lake and the top of Ski Acres Hill. Turned and traversed my way back to the Silver Fir chair, with an annoying climb at the end to access Outback run and my car at Silver Fir. (I think I could have just done Golden Nugget and traversed across but I can't remember.
Overall, an acceptable 1/2 day tour (or less with lift ticket) to some forested slopes for the future when avy hazard is high.  I didn't ski any open slopes but I floated over the lakes without hitting the mid storm cycle freezing rain crust.  Rightside-up profile to the snowpack above that intermediary crust.  Did not closely look to see what was below it.   
Nice. Thanks Ive been curious about the coverage back there,hoping it will build.
That 's real similar to tour with options I put together back there I call the "big easy "
Start at silver fir chair top ,power line to surveyor lake then loop out either way,maybe throw in the Nordic pass to frog lake or Divide mt tower skin up to grand junction and exit to car for the early opera or dinner date. Lots of options for a short day.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2014-radio-tower-and-ski-acres-hills
John Morrow
2014-02-03 20:44:01