Home > Trip Reports > Feb 02, 2014, Tatoosh, Powder Bowl non-craze

Feb 02, 2014, Tatoosh, Powder Bowl non-craze

2/2/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 2/3/14 6:55am
Tatoosh was deserted on Sunday leaving a plenty of un-tracked powder just for us three.  There appeared to be many skiers previous days harvesting the goods before the big game.  We started out the day under blue sky, but ended up w/ low cloud on the south slopes.  The new snow was bonded well to the crust about 1' deep due to transitional rain.  Took one lap down South, the snow was deep and light near the rigde , but got progressively heavier.  The visibility remain good on North slopes, eventually the cloud departed again.  The snow stayed light, we even got a few face shots (easier when telemarking!).  A photo-emergency for the late afternoon sun paused us long enough to reach the gate 15min after 5pm; fortunately a ranger just waved us goodbye.  Good day to be out for those non-football types ;)  A few more pics

I would be up for having SuperPowder Bowl every weekend!  :D

Here are some pics from my camera:

Up the Saddle:

Rainbow clouds

Ski art

Rainier peeking

Golden waterfall

All those pictures are very good but that last one is simply amazing!
Are you using a tinted lens?

author=Jonn-E link=topic=30625.msg128149#msg128149 date=1391531069]

mmmmm
moody

I think Radka is just good.  Great eye, gorgeous shot, Radka.

author=Marcus link=topic=30625.msg128153#msg128153 date=1391534549]
I think Radka is just good.  Great eye, gorgeous shot, Radka.

I do not doubt her skill, it was meant as a technical question as there is an enormous amount of light/glare has been choked down to a manageable level without losing detail in the darker areas, which can be hard to accomplish. The other way I can think of is a very tight aperture.

Any chance at a wallpaper size? :)

I wasn't giving you a hard time, FYI - just amazed at the shots she continues to put up.  For sure a hard shot to accomplish - way beyond my level of camera kung-fu.

...last one is simply amazing!  you using a tinted lens?

That was the photo-emergency I mentioned earlier.  The fading light on flowing cloud was just amazing and kept getting better. It was hard to leave, and we practically had to drag Radka down the last slope so we could reach the gate before they closed it.

You are all very kind, thank you very much!

If you are curious about technical information regarding the last shot, here is the data: ISO 320, f/14, 1/500 s, 105 mm, -1 EV. I measured exposure on the brightest part of the picture, locked the exposure, recomposed and took the picture. That way I was able to avoid overexposure. I process pictures in LighRoom and NIK software, nothing too dramatic, though. The first picture was of course altered in post-processing to make it look silver-ish. I tinkered with white balance and saturation to make it look more interesting. I do not have any tinted lenses and I didn't use any filters. I only used UV filter for the Rainier shot.

author=radka link=topic=30625.msg128167#msg128167 date=1391551313]
You are all very kind, thank you very much!

If you are curious about technical information regarding the last shot, here is the data: ISO 320, f/14, 1/500 s, 105 mm, -1 EV.

D600 eh?  Thank you for sharing.  Good stuff!

Yup, D600  :)

Reply to this TR

feb-02-2014-tatoosh-powder-bowl-non-craze
Kenji
2014-02-03 14:55:53