Home > Trip Reports > Feb 1 Kendall/PCT laps

Feb 1 Kendall/PCT laps

2/1/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by savegondor on 2/3/14 2:39am
Wanted to ski the backside of Granite Peak West (name?) up from Olallie but my little FWD just didn't want to make up to the TH.  Opted for old growth on Kendall.  Did a fast test pit on the clear-cut which did show the top 10-15 inches sliding as a cohesive slab on top of what looked like hoar frost.  Conditions varied wildly according to aspect as did the depth of snow.  Aspects nearer the pass seemed to receive more snow out of the storm.  I found it odd that most of Kendall seemed to only have 10-15 new while Alpental telemetry was showing up to two feet. 

In any case conditions warranted caution and my brother Dustin and I opted for a lap in the old growth below the PCT Kendall catwalk while a half-dozen or more tested the stability for us on open slopes.  I was a bit surprised that I was unable to cause any sluffs on multiple ski cuts but then even at 5400 feet anchors such as rocks and bushes were still making themselves visible through the shallow snow pack. 

So the safety question of the day: How much do you trust a dangerous slope after 10 people have shredded it?

Here's a link so some pics and videos. 

Reply to this TR

feb-1-kendall-pct-laps
savegondor
2014-02-03 10:39:02