telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/17, 09:45 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Weak Layers: decision making in avalanche terrain
| | |-+  Stevens Environs
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stevens Environs  (Read 11080 times)
TN
5Member

Stevens Environs
« on: 02/02/14, 05:35 PM »

Lotsa natural crowns observed (Fri/Sat) from during the late Jan storm.  This has left a few inches of cold pow on top of SLICK ICE in the starting zones.  Fleur-de-lis chute is slick smooth ice for the first 100'.  Beware of anything steep that hasn't slid and expect anything new to readily release again!

"Slow down!  Let ME break trail!  Save the turns and the steep stuff for the way down.  We'll get there sooner,  ski all day and you'll still be able to stand up after dinner tonight!"  The Trail Nazi
Jsper
5Member

Re: Stevens Environs
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/14, 06:05 PM »

Thanks ed , appreciated
TN
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 02/25/14, 11:05 AM »

Large destructive natural avalanche off Josephine (point 5863), from about 5600' on the N- NE aspect (east of the ridge running directly N).  Crown was at least 4 to 5 feet, seen thru flat light from a distance.  Observed Sat the 22nd.  Don't be under ANYTHING or try to ski or ride ANYTHING that has not slid in the Stevens environs.  Warming on thurs may be enough to bring a few more down, hopefully, but lots will remain.
« Last Edit: 03/01/14, 08:48 PM by TN » Logged

"Slow down!  Let ME break trail!  Save the turns and the steep stuff for the way down.  We'll get there sooner,  ski all day and you'll still be able to stand up after dinner tonight!"  The Trail Nazi
TN
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 02/25/14, 11:35 AM »

Trying to figure out how to reduce the HD photos from my Cannon today so I can post.  Anyone out there have experience with that?

Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #4 on: 02/25/14, 11:57 AM »

Is this the Pt. 5863 to which you refer?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=47.72018,-121.04729&z=15&t=T&marker0=47.72165%2C-121.04776%2C8.1%20km%20E%20of%20Scenic%20WA

If you're using Windows, the included "Paint" utility is sufficient to resize images: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/resize-a-picture-using-paint

mikerolfs

« Reply #5 on: 02/25/14, 12:00 PM »

Ed I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to batch reduce size.

Right click one of the photos and choose 'open with'
Once the program is open, you can select whichever photos you want to reduce and then do them all at once.  From the 'Picture' pull-down menu select resize.  
TN
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 02/25/14, 01:43 PM »

That's it Charlie, locals call 5463 "Susan Jane" and 5863 "Josephine" for the corresponding lakes of course.  Crown was at or just above that 5600' line near the "25".  Thanks for the hints on photos guys,  I'll do more this eve, using daylight outside right now  -  shovelling and drying out the car!

alecapone

« Reply #7 on: 02/26/14, 10:16 AM »

thanks TN.

I'd like to add that some of the stevens pass area has become very unfeatured and planural, and paths are easily running full distance and beyond.

pillows no more.. this slide started naturally Friday night. at 6,000'+ and ran to 3,500' snapping limbs 10 feet off the ground. it didn't take out any big trees, but it went right through them, and up hill.

« Last Edit: 02/26/14, 10:20 AM by alecapone » Logged

scott
VerticallyInclined
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 02/26/14, 12:04 PM »

Speaking of Stevens, check out this photo taken today from the Helicopter assisted avalanche work.   

Slabalanche!

https://www.facebook.com/stevenspass

* a_photo_at_stevens.jpg (68.71 KB, 960x640 - viewed 1324 times.)
davep
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 02/27/14, 10:21 PM »

Video from heli bombing of that area.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXXHOaZyXj8

aaron_wright

« Reply #10 on: 02/28/14, 07:42 AM »

Where is that? Is it off Cowboy Ridge?
Chrols
5Member

« Reply #11 on: 02/28/14, 08:57 AM »

Thats the top of the ridge above the west side of lake Susan Jane.  That particular slab has performed in the past, though maybe not so deep.  They call it the hanging snowfield.  It's visible from anywhere on the south side of the ski area.
VerticallyInclined
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 02/28/14, 09:20 AM »

Where is that? Is it off Cowboy Ridge?

It is referred to as the "Rooster Comb" area.    This is on the Southwest side of Mill Valley (ie: skiers right while going under the powerlines inbounds.   Interesting, the Pacific Crest Trail crosses the slide path near the lake.    It's certainly covered with a bit more snow now.

I happened to see another avalanche control video taken of the same area, but one that shows more of location that you'll likely recognize https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XS1RfJEIP8

pipedream

« Reply #13 on: 03/01/14, 08:24 PM »

The aftermath:

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
TN
5Member

« Reply #14 on: 03/01/14, 08:46 PM »

Finally got my photo re-sized. It shows trees (partially) downed by the slide on the N - NE side of Josephine.  When I got to where I could barely see the crown, it was foggy and very flat light and I didn't try a photo.  Seen on Feb 22, must have happened the night or day before.

* Josephine_downed_trees.jpg (231.23 KB, 800x584 - viewed 928 times.)

alecapone

« Reply #15 on: 03/24/14, 04:32 PM »

a little late, but on Saturday the 15th, the west face of the south peak of Lichtenberg slid huge down to the creek. started midway down, and narrow, but deep, and stepped down and out taking most of the lower face with it.

looked to be natural. no tracks in or out. started at a weak point from warming rock, or trees... 10'+ crown. not sure if it was all of February's snow.

observed from heather ridge. slide time estimated around noon that day.
« Last Edit: 03/24/14, 04:53 PM by alecapone » Logged

scott
snoholic

« Reply #16 on: 03/25/14, 03:08 PM »

Thanks for the update on Lict. I've been avoiding that area (one of my favorites) waiting for it to pop. It was a bit overdue.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.