Home > Trip Reports > January 29, 2014, Revelstoke (RMR) Backcountry

January 29, 2014, Revelstoke (RMR) Backcountry

1/29/14
Canada elsewhere
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 1/29/14 11:34am
Well I was hoping for the 10cm forecasted to soften things up but the storm just didn't make it this far north. Looks like the big line season continues unabated. Conditions remain the same. North through southeast faces remain soft and still hold great skiing.

Nice day in the RMR backcountry. Avoided the now completely tracked out highway bowl (Mackenzie east face drainage) for the relatively untracked zone one drainage south. It is amazing how 10 minutes of extra skinning makes such a drastic decrease in traffic.

I did make the mistake of overestimating the fitness of a relatively new backcountry skier that I brought along. We ended up skiing out the 5200 feet of resort groomers in twilight around 5. Worked out well with an awesome view of the town lit up. It was a reminder of the dangers of sidecountry due to large amounts of vertical being saved for last. When normally once I point it downhill I am on my way to the bottom.

*Disclaimer* Conditions are good but not as good as the last photo makes them appear.
over the head!  sweet shots!

Reply to this TR

january-29-2014-revelstoke-rmr-backcountry
Skier of the Hood
2014-01-29 19:34:15