Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Hood missing ski report

Mt. Hood missing ski report

1/15/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by YoKid on 1/29/14 5:34am
Climbed hood on Sunday. Most Excellent day to stand on top. Would have been a most excellent day to ski but after dropping off hogsback and taking a few turns my ski decided White River was the place to be, severed its relationship with the bottom of my foot, and proceeded to head down into the canyon at great speed. Needless to say the other one is lonely without it. I learned a lesson or two but would still like the ski back if anyone happens across it.

Its a 178 Opus, this years, red and white. Thanks. Reward if found(size of reward depends on ski condition :) but it'll be good, legal, and not cash)
Good luck.  Hope someone finds it and returns it to you.  BTW, nice job on getting the summit.  Curious:  what kind of binding was on it? 

I hope you get your gear back. I lost a ski in a blizzard on the Muir Snowfield years back. A full year later I struck up a conversation with a random person on the Snowfield person who turned out to have found it the previous spring when it melted out. I got the binding back :)

I'm a bit perplexed by the habit of relying on brakes to stop skis on glaciers; in my experience (watching skis owned by others sail away into the land of the lost) brakes just aren't a effective means of stopping a runaway ski in that environment. So why use brakes over leashes?

How far up were you when the ski slid in?  I'll keep an eye out for you but I won't be back up to Timberline until the 9th at the earliest.  You might want to drop a message to the Mazamas and Chemeketans since they sometimes practice out that way.  Maybe a climber will find it this spring. 

Sort of an aside, but the B&D ski leashes are great, easy to use, engineered to break in an avalanche but not from stopping a ski.

author=drescj link=topic=30565.msg127892#msg127892 date=1391043897]
Sort of an aside, but the B&D ski leashes are great, easy to use, engineered to break in an avalanche but not from stopping a ski.

They look perfect. Planning to pick some up. Do not want to be in the position of the OP somewhere high on a mountain.

Reply to this TR

mt-hood-missing-ski-report
YoKid
2014-01-29 13:34:30