Home > Trip Reports > July 18, 2005, Mt Adams - SW Chutes

July 18, 2005, Mt Adams - SW Chutes

7/18/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 7/19/05 3:00am
Wow - I must say, before I begin with this routine TR, this site is rapidly becoming a virtual plethora of reports of creative, interesting, first, hairy and otherwise extreme, ski descents.
My hat's off to all you young enterprising, energetic and highly innovative climber/skiers that are contributing to this phenomoma with your TR's and visual aids of your interesting and exciting adventures fo those of us without the skills/stamina/courage/time/or ?? to participate.

That said, regulars of the Geezer Patrol participated in their annual descent of the classic SW Chutes this last Monday.
With the stellar weather prediction holding nicely, MadDog, JW, and yours truly descended on corn so sweet that it was over much quicker than any of us could remember of prior trips on the same line (although some of us are old enough where remembering what day it is, is a chore).
Great, untracked skiing down to about 9200, then a bit roughed up and rocky down to the tarn at 7800.  There we loaded up (even though there were a few discontinuous patches below that) and did the boulder dash to the notch at 7000 followed by the schwack down to the RTM at 6100.
Pretty much an "as planned", uneventful ski day with a bit more exertion than old folks prefer  ;)

We might be able to get some visual aids out after our naps.

Edit to add more photos - Here's the MadDog and Jerry having their way with the Chutes:

This one shows the at the edge of the tarn at 7800, quite a bit shy or the exit notch.

If your not getting bored yet, 5 pages of pictures from the trip can be seen
here.

Ditto to what Ron said, and kudo's to you ski adventure seekers, play hard and be safe  ;D.

I'm up from my "geezer" nap  ;), but a little lack in being creative with additional TR info, other than it was a great trip with fond memories that shall last a lifetime.  Mt Adams has always been a favorite of mine  :D.  Some photos HERE.   ;D  8)

Nice photos. Sounds and looks like a fun time.

Cute pooch too.

...Cute pooch too.

As one would expect, he was on the ''dog route".  ;)

definately something I'm sad to have missed thanks for the TR

Way to keep doing your thing, Ron et al.  It's great to hear about people having a good time in the mountains.  It's quite clear that you know how to enjoy yourselves.  I'd like to trump Mad_Dog and say kudos to anyone earning turns and enjoying the freedom of the hills.

That's what I love about TAY.  It's the content.  There may be myriad perspectives and styles of skiing, but you are guaranteed to find plenty backcountry skiing of the human-propelled kind.

That definitely appears to be a fun, classic run.  One of these years I'll ski those SW Chutes.  Who knows, maybe the geezers wouldn't mind skiing with a mentally-disabled whippersnapper sometime?

Just getting up from my nap...
I still have some pics to get up -- I'll get to it after I, ah, I know there's something else I need to do first.
Way to keep doing your thing, Ron et al.  It's great to hear about people having a good time in the mountains.  It's quite clear that you know how to enjoy yourselves.  I'd like to trump Mad_Dog and say kudos to anyone earning turns and enjoying the freedom of the hills.

That's what I love about TAY.  It's the content.  There may be myriad perspectives and styles of skiing, but you are guaranteed to find plenty backcountry skiing of the human-propelled kind.
For a "mentally-disabled whippersnapper" those are rather kind-spirited words of wisdom.

That definitely appears to be a fun, classic run.  One of these years I'll ski those SW Chutes.  Who knows, maybe the geezers wouldn't mind skiing with a mentally-disabled whippersnapper sometime?
As far as your skiing with the geezers goes, I'd have to take a poll, of course (can't speak for the others, ya know ;)), but I, for one would welcome it anytime, provided we could find a way to keep you occupied while we toiled to haul our ancient rears up to ski.
Oh, I know, assuming the SW Chutes were the object of our desire, we geezers could start at our usual oh dark hundred while you slept in 'til say 10 or 11?  You could catch up with us at the top of the chutes by around 1:00 when the snow's cooked about right.  
Then we could all start down together and I figure you could probably lap us 3 to 4 times on the chutes (between 11,500 and 7,000) and still get back to camp for beers and tequila about the same time we do.  That would give you about 13 to 18,000 vf of skiing (and maybe a couple thou more in climbing).
That might keep you from getting bored, eh?
I can already see myself bearing witness to the event.

Thanks for the TR. I headed up Adams for the first time this past saturday and had a blast. I was with a non-skiing friend, so I was on my feet all day, but i'm considering leaving my non-skiing friends behind next time and bringing my board instead.
Having climbed up the south side, i have a good idea of what to expect for that route, but it sounds like the SW chutes would be a better descent. A few questions that hopefully some TAYers can help me out with:
How much further does the continuos snow last?
Is is safe to come down the SW chutes if you haven't climbed them (crevasses? other dangers?)?
How strenuos or otherwise unpleasant is the hike from the last of the snow to the RTM trail?
Hopefully i will make it up there before the month is over. Making turns in July is an experience i've certainly never had, being from the northeast. But apparently skiing in July in the northeast does exist! A valiant effort for some summer turns or just plain idiotic. You be the judge: http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4838

Brett

definately something I'm sad to have missed thanks for the TR
Well, mate, we definately missed having you along.  The "A Team" just wasn't the same without you.

... A few questions that hopefully some TAYers can help me out with:
How much further does the continuos snow last?
You can now see from the pics where we loaded up at about 7800.

Is is safe to come down the SW chutes if you haven't climbed them (crevasses? other dangers?)?
The only real dangers I can think of are of falling and that of getting lost in a white out if your navigation skills are lacking.  Danger from a fall is really a non-issue if the snow is soft and creamy.  Now if it's boilerplate you might have 3 or 4 thousand feet to slide before you stop if you didn't arrest quickly.  That might skin you up a tad... unless, of course, you were lucky enough to slam into some rocks to slow you down.  But then who wants to ski on boilerplate, eh?

How strenuos or otherwise unpleasant is the hike from the last of the snow to the RTM trail?
I guess that kind of depends on your appetite for torture points.  One climber's misery is another's dream.  I can honestly say the boldering from the tarn to the exit notch was NOT exactly the highpoint of the trip for me.

Hopefully i will make it up there before the month is over. Making turns in July is an experience i've certainly never had, being from the northeast. But apparently skiing in July in the northeast does exist! A valiant effort for some summer turns or just plain idiotic. You be the judge: http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4838
"Any port in a storm; sez I".  Have a great trip, Brett.  Let us know how it goes.

ron j, mad dog, jw--high five.  that picture of jw and jeanette cruisin' down the slopes says it all.  you guys sure know how to get out and git some--way to go!!  8)

...apparently skiing in July in the northeast does exist!

who woulda thunk?   :D  coming from new england myself, i was surprised to hear that east coast might not be as lacking in year-round skiing as one might think...just watch out for "black holes"!!  :)  thanks for the link brett.

A fun trip, wish we could have gone a bit sooner but the weather and other factors wouldn't allow it. That run is definitely spectacular!  We just forgot the snow ends about 1500ft higher than a normal year 8) Oh well what's a little bouldering. 8) Sky thanks for the kind words, and great job on your Mowich decent!
Ally-sone your right that photo says it all!  Fun 8)

Here's a Slideshow/Video of the trip.

Wow - Jerman.
Fantastic video. The Geezers are certainly lucky to have such talent amongst 'em.  What a great way to immortalize a trip.  Nice tune selection, too.
It's now become a piece of my permanent library.
Thanks.

Great video J,  ;D, I love Mt. Adams, it's my favorite  ;D.

I like that intro - (nudge) yo Ron, now you drink the beer!

JW.
Nice little video. Great fun you all have.
enjoy your days.
Jessica

Reply to this TR

july-18-2005-mt-adams-sw-chutes
ron j
2005-07-19 10:00:48