Home > Trip Reports > January 20, Tatoosh Crustcapades

January 20, Tatoosh Crustcapades

1/20/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 1/21/14 1:57am
Some days you get powder.  Some days you get corn.  Other days you really nail the snow conditions and really get the ideal crust.  When it doesn't break, most of the time, unless you decide to turn abruptly.  Just don't turn.

Title and description aside it was actually a really fun day and because I was drop kicked in the head as a baby I really enjoy a good old breakable crust.  There is an unconsolidated dry layer underneath in occasional areas of north facing slopes, check for whomping when we get new snow and keep spatial variability will be high.

Light, dark, and tutus

Note the crown on Pinnacle

Adams

Yours truly

Kristina demonstrating how to hoot and holler in a photo, it's all about the arm placement

Last week, as we were driving to Paradise, we were amazed to see the amount of rime plastered on Pinnacle but especially on Stevens and Unicorn.  The gleaming slopes this week did not encourage us to go to the Tatoosh.

author=Andrew Carey link=topic=30458.msg127427#msg127427 date=1390328084]
The gleaming slopes this week did not encourage us to go to the Tatoosh.

It still beats walking in to colchuck in ski boots and crampons........not that anyone in our party would know anything about that  ::)

author=ND link=topic=30458.msg127452#msg127452 date=1390346162]
It still beats walking in to colchuck in ski boots and crampons........not that anyone in our party would know anything about that  ::)

I know not of what you speak...I've never had a sufferfest in crampons!

I have to say accurate TR and great photos. Now I guess we know why there weren't other reports from people getting out in the Tatoosh. #icecapades

Reply to this TR

january-20-tatoosh-crustcapades
ND
2014-01-21 09:57:03