Home > Trip Reports > July 17, 2005, ghost of the lyall glacier

July 17, 2005, ghost of the lyall glacier

7/17/05
Posted by skip on 7/18/05 5:25am
Combined, Cass and I inadvertently left at least 25% of our gear in Seattle, a fact that became increasingly evident the further we traveled north Saturday night.  Notable items included my camera and maps.  Fortunately, we had boots and skis, as well as a Gazetteer and a Beckey guide, providing us all we really needed and needed to know for our trip to Frisco Mountain.  The locale was the Casshole's suggestion; his first time to the peak a number of years ago had left a distinct impression: he wished he had skis.

Aiming to right the wrongs of yesteryear, we set out from Rainy Pass up the eastern route of the Maple Pass loop trail just after 7:00 Sunday morning.  The well-maintained trail was fast, bringing us up ~1400' to treeline in just over an hour.  We followed the ridgetop about half its distance, then dropped 450' down into the drainage separating our ridge from Frisco.  Rather than tackling the northern ridge directly, we side-hilled a slope of loose talus beneath rather prominent features, crossed two streams, and made our way to an old moraine of the Lyall Glacier.

While we had plans to scramble to the top of Frisco, the objective of the trip was actually the Lyall.  The Beckey guide and the Gazetteer each show the Lyall as a prominent body in the basin beneath Frisco's peak.  These documents were supported by Cass' recollections.  Outdated maps, however, hid that which was revealed to us: the Lyall is all but gone.  What once was a sizeable glacier has been reduced to a small, melting block of ice above a small meltwater lake in the deepest part of the basin.

We continued up the basin hoping for lines connecting the few fingers of snow to one another, but found in this we were a month too late.  Alas, we again found evident the plight of the patch skier that is me.

After scrambling up Frisco, we returned to the col, donned skis, and set about to hit as many patches as we could find on the way down.  In total we found five, totaling a little over 800' vertical.  And for two of those you didn't even have to take off your skis, just a short scramble over some choss piles.  Not bad.

What lacked in quantity was made up for in quality.  The snow was brilliant.  It had set up over night, leaving us 2-3" of corn over a firm base.   Though they looked menacing, you couldn't even feel the suncups and runnels.   All in all, it was a brilliant July ski day, despite the late August conditions.  It once again proved you don't need snow to have a good ski day.  While this no doubt makes sense to you, dear reader, you would be surprised to learn just how many people don't understand...

Fun Factor:  800' ski descent / 4000' ft ascent = .2  (better than average!)

It once again proved you don't need snow to have a good ski day.

Skip and Cass,
'Tis true...Sounds like you had a grand adventure and certainly righted the wrongs of yesteryear. Well done!

Your map and ground truthing situation gives me pause...I love maps (and glaciers). How sad that shrinking glaciers will soon shrink from updated maps.

Nice one, guys. We thought about joining you, but the early hour and potential schwhacking made us pause.

"Zere is no word for boosh-whack een French"!

...Fun Factor:  800' ski descent / 4000' ft ascent = .2  (better than average!)

nice, but isn't your Joy-o-Meter value of 20% a little high for a patch skier?  ;)

skip--looks like you and the wipe had a sweet day connecting patches! glad the choss didn't make you take your skis off.  ;) crazy about the shrinkage of the glacier...

I clearly recall that remnant glacial lagoon from our last trip out there, and had visions of you two skimming across it after flying down a ribbon-patch!

On a shwack scale, though, this area is quite pleasant (only a BW-2). Nice heather covered polished rock most of the way if I remember...

- Kevin

I clearly recall that remnant glacial lagoon from our last trip out there, and had visions of you two skimming across it after flying down a ribbon-patch!

A 'slush-cup' encore (i.e. skimming across the glacial lagoon) was considered, but upon closer inspection the water landing appeared too long to reach the rocky lakeside from the snow's edge; hence a likely frigid landing (or a hard boulder-smacking landing if one made it across the lake) and significant drowning risk (deep water & no "shore") spoiled that idea.

Some trip photos:
1.  A very pleasant blue-bird day in the mountains!
2.  Skip harvesting the summer corn on a high snow patch
3.  Speed Racer Skip cruisin'-down patch #2
4.  Down-climbing a steep "portage" between snow patches
5.  Still great views and skiing on patch #3.

On a shwack scale, though, this area is quite pleasant (only a BW-2). Nice heather covered polished rock most of the way if I remember...
 Those heather-covered meadows were a nice change from shwacking  ;D though there was definitely more boulder-traveling involved this time without much snow coverage.

We thought about joining you, but the early hour and potential schwhacking made us pause
 No worries; looked like you guys had a fun day out on the Flett/Russell Glaciers.

Nice report guys. "Chris and Skip on the pursuit of the disappearing glacier"...sounds like a fun adventure ;-)

"Zere is no word for boosh-whack een French"!

Hey now Greg...what's up with this deal of making fun of my accent?

I love your accent, man! If I hang out with you guys, I might even learn some French! Besides, the Chinese and the French have a similar opinion of hiking through Devil's Club . . .

;D I am not sure the Chinese have a unified position on Devil's club though since Kam seems to actually enjoy the torture ;-)

Reply to this TR

july-17-2005-ghost-of-the-lyall-glacier
skip
2005-07-18 12:25:48