Home > Trip Reports > Jan 16-17, 2014, Sasse Ridge

Jan 16-17, 2014, Sasse Ridge

1/16/14
Posted by Larry_R on 1/20/14 12:49am
Last Thursday - Friday Jane and I made our first ski camping trip back to Sasse Ridge since my heart trouble a while ago.  Nothing special about this trip; spring like conditions about the same as so many times before.  We did not skin up above the camp in the morning like we usually do, not enough snow, but just being there again was enough.

Some pictures

http://sdrv.ms/1bCdg4S

Larry
Glad you made it to your favorite mountain hang out!

Thanks so much Garth,

In lieu of much of a trip report, I hoped that the pictures at least gave some idea of the snowpack in the area.

Larry

Awesome Larry - nice TR.

Nice.

Flocks of birds have flown high and away;
A solitary drift of cloud, too, has gone, wandering on.
And I sit alone with the Ching-ting Peak, towering beyond.
We never grow tired of each other, the mountain and I.

--Li Po

Thanks so much folks.

I'm not sure why I hesitate to mention this (too old for this forum?), but the day the first pictures were taken was my 68th birthday. That's what I wanted to do, and something I've often done in the past on my BD. No big party, just ski camping.  I mention this because of Lowell's so pertinent   quote. Thanks Lowell,

Larry

Ps: Jane reminded me that we have been ski camping  at our favorite place  for over 15 years now. A lot happens in 15 years.

Lovely photos!!!

When we first started going to Sasse Ridge over 15 years ago we would talk about how each year was a gift and we never knew if we would be back the next year. After all these years the accumulated memories are the best ever! We often talk for hours in the dark at "happy hour" outside our tents, remembering this or that year, and all the different conditions that make backcountry ski camping so unique. Every year we look out over the valley in the dark and wonder if anyone else is out there camped in the snow, probably not..

Hi Larry's sister - nice to see the Sasse mtn team at work this year. 

Noticed your TRAB set up - my second year on those skis - love 'em!  Great fun in so many conditions. 

Both Larry and I ski on Trabs- they are awesome! I was at Crystal on Wed and was skiing with an ex patroller from Oregon whose nephew was a Randonee champion. There was much talk about the all mountain capabilities of these skis. As we headed down to the bus he cautioned me not to leave my skis alone for even one minute at the bottom… Don't think that someone won't recognize them.

Reply to this TR

jan-16-17-2014-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2014-01-20 08:49:48