Home > Trip Reports > July 15, 2005, Mt Adams

July 15, 2005, Mt Adams

7/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/17/05 5:59pm
Had to take advantage of the weather window and high freezing levels.  Then wouldn't you know at the last minute the forecast changes but not enough to ditch plans.  The drive up to Cold Springs was like any other.  Pulled up by 7:30pm to find the campground about a quarter full.  Set up shop and strummed some tunes next to a fire and frosty beverage.  4am came around quick and so did 5am.  After a bite to eat and gear check I was off hiking 20 after.  It was a mellow hike to say the least with cool breezes from the northwest and an amazing sunrise to the south near Mt Hood.

By 7am I had gained the ridge in Cresent Glacier Basin and it wasn't long before I found a nice rock shelter to nap in.  Wouldn't you know there is still continuous snow until 7400ft though I don't know how long the finger connecting it will last.  Its about 25ft wide right now.  At 7700ft I was walking on soft, dirty, moderately cupped snow.  Yup I didn't bring my split to save some weight.  Well by 8am I was dozing.  After an hour or so nap I switched to boots and continued.  While in the rock shelter I couldn't help notice all the freakin spider webs across the rocks.  However no spiders.  They were all playing on the snow or learning the topography of my boot bottoms.  The higher I climbed the better snow conditions got.  By 10am I was snacking and putting on the crampons.  One foot in front of the other to the pace of my fav tunes.  At noon I was at the top of the false summit trying not to get blown off.  Constant 30mph plus winds kept all the layers on.  Needless to say it wasn't very crowded today.  Only half dozen people or so.

Within 20 minutes after my arrival I was joined by a free-heeler and another snowboarder.  Turned out to be Troy Manfredi and Ann.  We exchanged greetings and chatted for a bit.  So my original plan was to ride the sw chutes.  It looked ready for harvest but after staring at bottom I kinda lost my motivation to do it.  It wasn't going to be a continuous ride for me as I had thought.  It would require some patch work on less desireable snow in non-boarder friendly terrain.  Much like the snow I had ran into lower down but I'm just assuming from the same dirty color.  Or on the way up I did spy a high continuous traverse below the rocks but time of day and the carpet bomb appearance made me think otherwise.  We all agreed the most enjoyable line would be down the way we came.

One by one we harvested some fine mid July corn.  Corn did vary in consistency and depth (mid-boot) in areas but it all carved the same.  Approaching the Cresent Glacier I prepared myself for some survival boarding on the steep, dirty, and cupped.  What a run.  Nice tight turns to huge gs arcs to survival mode.  The hike out was made easier thanks to it being down hill and the breeze/cloud shadow.  Those high winds really whipped up the clouds into cool formations.  We were back at our cars by 3pm and enjoying pulls from our drinks of choice followed by some chit-chat.  It was nice meeting and sharing a line with both of you.  Goodtimes.
Thanks for the report Snoslut. I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at Adams, wondering what conditions were.

Reply to this TR

july-15-2005-mt-adams
snoslut
2005-07-18 00:59:22