Home > Trip Reports > Jan 17 - Mount Baker Backcountry

Jan 17 - Mount Baker Backcountry

1/17/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by dave095790 on 1/17/14 1:23pm
Started from the upper lot around 10am.  First couple hundred feet of the skin track up the SE section of Herman Mtn was super hard, ski crampons would have been highly useful.  After a couple hundred feet, and getting into the sun, it was very easily skinned up. 

Did three runs of nearly perfect spring corn from the eastern saddle down the E, SE, and SW faces (following the sun).  Then skinned all the way up to south part of the main summit ridge, had a glorious 1400 foot run back down to the track, and then skinned back up the eastern saddle for the fifth and final run back down the E side to the lot. 

Seemed about 11am (and with some direct sunlight) the snow turned to nice creamy corn.  T-Shirt weather all day (except for the first 10 min, before I forgot it was January).  Never even put on the gloves all day.  Forgetting the sunscreen would have been an epic mistake. 

All-in-all, probably the best ski day of the season so far. 
Great photos!  Makes me stoked to get back on skis this weekend.

We got lucky with this one - To think we almost went to Snoqualmie! (sorry guys) :)

I'll add that the lower slopes were pretty trashed by rain, full of runnels that when frozen were no fun to climb or ski on. Bring your ski crampons!! Good news is that these conditions only existed on the lowest 600' or so above the creek on the eastern aspect and could easily be avoided by skinning further up the creek and up the SW aspect (longer route). This should continue to be good skiing over the next week while the temps are up and/or sun is out.

Reply to this TR

jan-17-mount-baker-backcountry
dave095790
2014-01-17 21:23:49