Home > Trip Reports > January 12, 2014, Stevens pass area

January 12, 2014, Stevens pass area

1/12/14
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by skibum on 1/15/14 1:19pm
Went up for my first real ski trip on Sunday with the crew. Was thinking about the Paradise environs on Saturday, but my other two skiing partners convinced my that Stevens was the place to go. And so it was settled.

After throwing all my stuff in the truck the night before, I rolled out of bed hopped in the truck and departed to pick up the rest of the party, all before 5am. We made our way up to the mountain from Vashon Island, thinking we had beaten the crowds with our early departure. Wrong. Highway 2 was a nightmare all the way up to the parking lots. Our initial plan was skyline, but the lots were full so we abandoned that idea and went with plan b.

We finally got on the trail at approximately 10:30 and had a nice warm up skinning up the snow covered road. We branched of the road a little ways up and forged our own trail up to the ridge. The snow was deep and trail-breaking laborious. We didn't care though, we brought our own skin track setting machine, Rowan. The stoke was high enough to finally be back on deep snow, we couldn't care less about our out of shape lungs and legs.

The skiing up top was phenomenal and waist deep shots abounded. A

All in all a great day to be out in the mountains with good friends and the right conditions.

https://vimeo.com/84279114

First edit I've ever done.
Nice video.  It sure was fun to get a few days of winter. I guess I'll go back to burning skis in hopes of more.  Help us Ullr!

author=snoholic link=topic=30378.msg127139#msg127139 date=1389888353]
I guess I'll go back to burning skis in hopes of more.  Help us Ullr!

LMAO...my extra fire and excess sacrifices of skiing in the rain as much as possible seems to not be having the desired effect/affect(?).

Perhaps we should take the advise of Ptor Spricenieks and "put sweet smelling smoke into the atmosphere on which the snowflakes can form."

author=alpine-earth link=topic=30378.msg127153#msg127153 date=1389907598]
Perhaps we should take the advise of Ptor Spricenieks and "put sweet smelling smoke into the atmosphere on which the snowflakes can form."

bobby and I have been trying that for years now with mixed, if not outright inconclusive results ;D

yeah dude, that was sick! thanks for documenting the day - all that time lapsing paid off  :)

it was cool running into you guys up at the trailhead.  what a day for a first tour of the year.... that was some crazy heavy snow!

i still think you guys missed out... the real fun of the day was wading across smith brook on the way back to the car!

i've never heard that glitch mob tune with those vocals before, but i like it.  the time lapse at the beginning was especially rad.

Reply to this TR

january-12-2014-stevens-pass-area
skibum
2014-01-15 21:19:09