Home > Trip Reports > January 11 and 12, 2013, Lake Clara miracle tours

January 11 and 12, 2013, Lake Clara miracle tours

1/11/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 1/12/14 10:10am
Two weeks ago I broke the bottom-most tip of my tibia while slowly skiing crappy ice-groom at Mission.  Here's the break:  such a small part.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/mikerolfs/12-30-13%20stemilt%20with%20Jamie/6f34b428-e03f-4b7f-8b1b-269969b48c73_zps917a6e56.jpg" />

As it turns out, it you are going to break something, this is the bone! Yesterday I did a pre-dawn fitness-readiness test tour and afterward declared myself fit for excersize!  I could boot uphill and down, skin uphill, skin across flats, and Hallelujah, I can ski!  Today I couldn't muster a partner and the avy danger was high, but I needed to get out, so I did mini laps in the meadows along the approach to Lake Clara.  It was fantastic!  I did go up above the lakes to look at the slopes above.  No natural slides.  The ski area was doing AC all morning.  I later called a patrol friend to see what kind of results they were getting.  He told me that on 40 to 45 degree start zones they got results.   Anyway, the skiing in the meadows was great and I'm happy not to be on the couch. 

Moxie's happy too...

meadow mini laps

just about to complete the loop..

handsaw handywork:

Parting shot

My wife is happy too.  I was descending into a foul mood when the orthopedic doctor told me that a ski boot is a safe place to be.  I feel really really lucky to be able to go out while still mending.  I think hard charging lift access skiing is several weeks off for me, but the freedom to go uphill in the interim makes it all okay.
Congrats Mike on good wound healing!  I would be in a foul mood for sure if I couldn't do some uphill play.

Nicely done, Mike. I wish you a speedy (full) recovery.

That is a miracle break. The recovery included time-travel back to 2013!  Enjoy.   ;)

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=30337.msg127002#msg127002 date=1389662671]
...time-travel...

Doh!

Mike has been known to travel at relativistic speeds

It's moments like this when I wish we had one of those bands-playing emoticons on the edit form for this site!

On the 13th I went for a look in Clara Lake Basin, to see what the snow was like, and check avalanche conditions after the big blow.  The snow was completely wind hammered mostly breakable crust with the occasional stretch of wind board.  In protected areas, I found shooting cracks and settling,  but nothing moved (I was on shallow angle terrain).  The skiing was generally challenging.  Mike and a friend met me and we made a lap together, and I'm starting to think him having a broken leg is a good thing for me, I can now stay in his dust, he was ripping breakable crust, and the rest of us hacked our way down.

Nice man, keep skiing. I broke my fibula skiing down to Pineapple Pass in 2007, then skied out down Great Scott, Big trees and the traverse out. LOL.

Reply to this TR

january-11-and-12-2013-lake-clara-miracle-tours
mikerolfs
2014-01-12 18:10:14