Home > Trip Reports > Lasiocarpa 1.4.14

Lasiocarpa 1.4.14

1/4/14
Posted by cumulus on 1/8/14 6:37am
Conditions have come and gone to be replaced by that ever moving sculpture of cold white that is our winter. Hopefully not entirely of discontent... as that white blanket has not always completely covered the ground this season. But when it does it's good. And when there are clear skies and sun it's even better. And I take way too many pictures.

So I did what Jim did and posted a

Nice pix (here and there). I've never made it any further that ways than the approx. center of the Wells drainage, need to make it all the way out on the ridge someday. Gives a good vantage.

Lasiocarpa is this? At least so I read in the Tabor guide.

PS it's tempting to create "The Angry Skier" as a troll account over on NWH and rant on and on about those poodles ...

Cumulus, we met the previous weekend on Baker.  How was that last run you guys made?  It looked like you were working hard on the boot up? 

The day before we met, my partner and I also ran into the poodles.  It was a very surreal moment as the two shaved dogs appeared out of the fog.  My partner and I were completely speechless. 

Nicely done getting back to Baker in better conditions!

Even more remarkable than the poodles is that shot of Shuksan. So pretty up there when it's clear.

author=wolfs link=topic=30279.msg126737#msg126737 date=1389230829">
Lasiocarpa is this? At least so I read in the Tabor guide.

PS it's tempting to create "The Angry Skier" as a troll account over on NWH and rant on and on about those poodles ...

thanks wolfs - the ridge is a beautiful place to be on a clear day for sure, well worth the skin out. And yes Abies Lasiocarpa seems to be what the ridge was named after. Landing pads for ptarmigans...
I've always thought of the Angry Hiker as a closet poodle lover (:

author=blackdog102395 link=topic=30279.msg126741#msg126741 date=1389232300">
Cumulus, we met the previous weekend on Baker.  How was that last run you guys made?  It looked like you were working hard on the boot up? 

Good meeting you blackdog! Last run was excellent except for the steep rollover entrance which was wind blown and icy. Chapin from Georgia didn't have heel risers (but plenty of enthusiasm!) so the boot was a bit longer but not too bad.

and yes - I agree Charlie.
it was definitely worth exiting in the dark for the sunset show. amazingly enough that sliver of a moon was powerful enough to throw a shadow.

Fun to get out with you Stefan!

nice one!  Looks like skiing that in winter is better than in late summer  ;)

The views are always amazing though

Thanks Stefan, Ryan, and E$ for a great day.  Perfect b-day… I was feeling the celebratory vibe from that first spike to my early dawn coffee all the way through the awesome alpenglow on Shuksan.  Pretty good baseline if the best years lie ahead…

Reply to this TR

lasiocarpa-1-4-14
cumulus
2014-01-08 14:37:37