Home > Trip Reports > July 10, 2005, Shastina's Fickle Finger

July 10, 2005, Shastina's Fickle Finger

7/10/05
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 7/11/05 7:48pm

After our
Excellent trip reports Lowell, I could never have said it all better. Thanks too to TAY for helpful info and inspiration. Garth :)

Did that finger four years ago on a semi whiteout day while waiting for a good weather window on the big hill. We could barely see anything--quite exciting to be skiing blind next to that slag, as you put it Lowell. Yes, sort of like leftover steelmill stuff. We had a normal snowfall year in mid June. I thought some type of heat buildup underneath melted the snow. Very strange at the time in that Shasta itself was totally snow covered down to BF TH. Maybe one of our volcano scientists can explain.

Is Shastina a nick name for Shasta? I've done Shasta a couple times skiing down the main Av. Gulch route back to bunny flats. Is Shastina a false summit? Seems like there's a small false summit on the north side of the mt. with some great looking ski lines. I know; there are no dumb questions, just dumb people.  ;)

Shastina is a 12,330-foot satellite peak of Mt Shasta, due west of the true summit. It's very prominent when viewed from I-5.

Reply to this TR

july-10-2005-shastina-s-fickle-finger
Lowell_Skoog
2005-07-12 02:48:21