Home > Trip Reports > July 9, 2005, Lassen Peak Twofer

July 9, 2005, Lassen Peak Twofer

7/9/05
US elsewhere
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 7/11/05 7:45pm

After skiing .
After our two days skiing Lassen Peak via two different approaches (see separate post), I realized (a bit too late!) that my preference would have been for your approach.
I think we might have been climbing up just as you two were starting to ski down?  (If so, I am ashamed to admit that I was in my Lou-Dawson-inspired Flexon-tongued Scarpa Matrix and not my Skoog-inspired Dynafit MLT4.)  I recall that the first skier down the moderately sketchy summit face kicked off some loose snow that seemed to keep going down the runnell for several minutes, and both skiers spent some time hanging out there for awhile.  

Wow Jonathan! Were you the two guys climbing up the northeast side as we were skiing down? If so, you and your partner are visible in the right picture, up and right of Garth. I commented on the cool halo to one of you at the time, and took several pictures of you climbing.

I was the first one off the top. Yes, the snow was a bit sluffy and I paused for a while to take pictures of Garth skiing. I was in my MLT4's that day, which required care on the steep bits. The lower part was pure joy.

Yep, you talked to my brother Ben (orange Lasers, orange Norbert Joos skis, Dynafit bindings).  Now that I look at that picture more carefully, those dots would appear to be us.  
I had thought about bringing out the MLT4 + TM11 setup, but brought the Matrix + Mira instead in case of deep heavy steep mank (of which the Lassen summit constituted my sole encounter during six days of volcanic skiing), plus I wasn’t going to be skiing with anyone who had lighter gear anyway...
(But of course, during my solo Shasta summit daytrip the previous Tuesday, I kept thinking how much easier the skinning would have been on the lightweight setup.)

A close encounter of the TAY kind!

I brought a single pair skis on the trip (Atomic TG10's) and two pairs of boots. I used my TLT4's on Shasta and my customized MLT4's on the other two peaks. The TLT4's offer more ski control but less walking comfort.

Reply to this TR

july-9-2005-lassen-peak-twofer
Lowell_Skoog
2005-07-12 02:45:04