Home > Forum > Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14

Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
06 Jan 2014 11:45 - 06 Jan 2014 12:33 #211582 by Good2Go
Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14 was created by Good2Go
Spent last weekend skiing around Liberty Bowl in fabulous conditions - 11" of new, light wind, temps in the teens, great stability (or so we thought).  We hit many lines all over the basin over the two days and saw no signs of major instability, until our final run to the sleds at 4:30 yesterday.  We dropped into the line all the way to the skier's left from the high bench below "Blue Lake Peak" (i.e., the bench below the B-day tour col), where there is a nice wide low-ish angle pow field (guessing right around 30 degrees) that terminates in trees and a drainage about 800 vertical feet below.  We had skied the skier's right side of that same field twice over the weekend, once before that same morning.  There was also a track from another skier on the skier's right hand side, so 5 total on the field.  On our last run, I traversed at the top to the untouched left side of the field, at full speed, and proceed to rail pow turns unstopped almost to the bottom.  I looked over my shoulder to see where my partner was, and was shocked to discover a fairly big avalanche coming up about 150' behind me.  I was hauling ass at the time, and (lucky for me!!!) the avy was moving pretty slow, so I was able to easily ski down to the left into some trees, outside of its path.  My first thought was that my partner had triggered it somehow, so my main focus was trying to identify any signs of him in the flow as it went by (it lasted a surprisingly long time).  Within a few seconds, my partner skied within sight on the far side of the flow, which was a huge relief.  When the slide stopped a few seconds later, it became clear that I had triggered it, likely when I initially traversed into the field, and had somehow managed to stay in front the entire time, blissfully unaware of what was occurring behind me (pics link below).  A close call for sure.  This experience reaffirmed for me that you can never be 100% sure about stability, especially when dealing with a thin snowpack with some faceted layers at depth.  In hindsight, I'm pretty sure I triggered a wind slab at the top of the field, which is guarded by some large cliffs, and is a significant deposition zone for transported snow. That slab stepped down and triggered a more reactive widespread unstable layer. All of this is just supposition though, as I did not notice any slabby snow whatsoever on the run.  It was "sugar" powder top to bottom.  Be careful out there folks! 

Pics: picasaweb.google.com/1085432858599684297...HtwE&feat=directlink

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
06 Jan 2014 12:05 #211584 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
link to photos doesn't work for me.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
06 Jan 2014 12:34 #211583 by Good2Go
Replied by Good2Go on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Sorry, I updated the link. Hopefully it works now.

More
06 Jan 2014 14:51 #211586 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Glad you didn't caught up in that.
Don't know the area so the pics don't help answer my questions...
I was wondering about the approximate aspect and elevation of the crown.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
06 Jan 2014 15:30 #211587 by Good2Go
Start zone was at approximately 7,000' and aspect is N/NW.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
06 Jan 2014 16:01 #211588 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Yikes! Could have been serious; glad you're OK.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
06 Jan 2014 17:34 #211590 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Pretty classic, NNW aspect-check, low snowpack-check...

... glad things worked out.

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
06 Jan 2014 19:34 #211594 by SKIER-X
Replied by SKIER-X on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
[We will have the trails broken for you by this weekend, unless you perfer total untracked snow/ Blue Peak area skied well today with a foot of new.The waterfall face rock bands lower down on the mountain were a bit punchy and there are still good sized holes around the rocks. Even hit a few.

Lower down, there is a rain/ warming crust transition below the powder that we could feel. 

Up high, Looks  like some  cross wind loading far skiers left below the walls. Could not see the cornice. Tested a steep wind slab over a hard crust and was suprised it did not move, but who knows really it was such a small, small slab.

If I can be of futher assistance,let me know.]

Above was the intel. FSG posted to you. It's from exactly where you skied ! We observed many crown releases on wind affected N,NE,NW aspects below ridgelines as well as sun affected rollerballs and wet slides from 1/3 through 1/4. Probably a good idea to ski one at a time with a lookout or leap frog from safe area to safe area. I took a ride in that same spot , similar conditions a few years back . Glad your Good To Go.   X   :)

More
07 Jan 2014 09:36 #211603 by JohnBox
Replied by JohnBox on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
On Dec 26th I was within a 1/4 mile of that slope, perhaps even directly below it. We saw where it looked like a previous group had been a few days prior. It looked like they had triggered a collapse with a one crack forming in the snow. We decided to dig and did one ECT on a ~25 degree slope that did not move at all. I then cut the ECT apart and did a couple of compression tests and had one failure ~8 inches down that went on the second tap from the elbow.
The second test failed at 8 inches on the second or third from the wrist. If your slide stepped down maybe that is the layer. I'm pretty new at this and we didn't stick around much longer to do any more digging. I'm glad to hear you were alright.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
07 Jan 2014 11:16 #211605 by Good2Go

On Dec 26th I was within a 1/4 mile of that slope, perhaps even directly below it.  We saw where it looked like a previous group had been a few days prior.  It looked like they had triggered a collapse with a one crack forming in the snow.  We decided to dig and did one ECT on a ~25 degree slope that did not move at all.  I then cut the ECT apart and did a couple of compression tests and had one failure ~8 inches down that went on the second tap from the elbow. 
The second test failed at 8 inches on the second or third from the wrist.  If your slide stepped down maybe that is the layer.  I'm pretty new at this and we didn't stick around much longer to do any more digging.  I'm glad to hear you were alright.

You could be right about the layer. We dug around a bit at the beginning of the weekend, and more thoroughly the weekend before. We were aware of several faceted layers in the snowpack, but we couldn't trigger a reaction with skis anywhere no matter how much we tried (e.g., via ski cuts or at switchbacks while skinning, etc.). That's what made the substantial propagation so surprising. Unstable layers at depth are pretty difficult to predict. Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I wouldn't want to be a heli guide up there right now.

More
07 Jan 2014 20:49 - 07 Jan 2014 21:55 #211613 by TN
Replied by TN on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
FSG, (and all Wash Pass skiers):  Good2Go messaged me that his slide "took out" the skin track that you and I avoided on Friday.  I talked with a member of the team that set it on the phone tonight.  I'm agreein' that folks are spending too much time exposed.  Whatever the destination is, putting the original, main uptrack in the safest, then easiest (often not the fastest or most direct) location is going to be more and more important as we see increased use.  Our uptracks here get reused frequently and we don't get many dumps that erase uptracks.  Hopefully we can avoid the Mt Baker syndrome here. 
On Sunday we "met" two new valley transplant couples.  I guess continued mentoring is still "on our plate".

Perhaps this thread should have been in the Weak Layers section and I'll try to post something similar there. The most important point here is the most likely aspect to go wrong: When a skin track is in "threatened terrain" where a skier triggered slide is reasonably possible, AND "line-of-sight" communication is absent. In a remote location, a single team could do this MAYBE. In popular areas it should be a no-go or a "set a new uptrack" condition. If you cannot see if anyone is following your exposed uptrack how can you ski onto the slope that threatens them? If you are following a track into threatened terrain how can you risk having the track-setter bury you?
Hopefully we can get this through to the less aware folks. We have a lot of terrain that fits here in the N Cascades!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jan 2014 08:33 #211625 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
mt. baker syndrome is a nice way to term the uphill/downhill interaction and congestion.
b

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
08 Jan 2014 09:24 #211632 by all mtn
Replied by all mtn on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Very detailed report. Just to recommend, do you measure the slope angle with an inclinometer. And, It kind of sounded like the release was similar to a spring slide - when the release moves slow. This website has the weak layer page.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Jan 2014 09:26 #211633 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Important thoughts on uptrack management, TN. Thanks for sharing.

More
08 Jan 2014 12:21 #211639 by ND
Replied by ND on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Glad you were skiing fast enough, others might disagree with me but riding as fast as possible for conditions is safer.

I wonder if there was a rock near the trigger point, can't quite tell from the photo. Perhaps there was a thick hoar layer surrounding a rock, it could easily propagate from there even thought pits weren't very reactive.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Jan 2014 13:09 #211640 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Or perhaps the snow cover was just thinner up at the top of that side of the run, thus making it easier to trigger on weak layers that were more deeply buried elsewhere?

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
08 Jan 2014 18:56 #211650 by all mtn
Replied by all mtn on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
At my home mtn, Mammoth, CA, the very top is similar to this spot. There are rocks above, and the snow accumulates below the rock outcroppings (as the snow doesn't stick to the rocks). The main run is named Climax. Due to the possibility of a climax avalanche, usually from a rain event prior to a large snowfall. In Feb, '86 a 22 foot fracture was measured at another apex of the mtn !

• mattfirth
  • [mattfirth]
More
08 Jan 2014 21:11 - 08 Jan 2014 21:16 #211653 by mattfirth
Replied by mattfirth on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
Have any of you skied the south side of Blue Pk? Quite a few years ago we had yet another shallow early season snow pack, I don't remember if we'd had any cold temps but most likely so given the eastslope. We'd skied Madison Ave almost to the valley bottom, had climbed back up and were sitting at the col having lunch and trying to decide if we were going to ski it again. One of our group walked over to just below Blue Pk and started to dig a pit. That set off the whole slope from just a few feet below where we sat - wall to wall, to the ground and all the way to the valley floor.

This year reminds me of that year. Watch out.    

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
08 Jan 2014 21:57 #211654 by SKIER-X
Replied by SKIER-X on topic Re: Close call at WA Pass 1-5-14
This run has a series of fall line ribs separated by troughs that run up to the rock face. Not much higher is the ridge line .This spot gets quit a bit of multi directional wind. Where the upper edge of the snow deposition meets the rock face there is usually a layer of ice . If you traverse high on this slope you cross rib trough rib trough etc. When I triggered this slope I was the fifth one down. It's a real sleeper . Hope this helps. X