Home > Trip Reports > Jan 4, Cascade Pass

Jan 4, Cascade Pass

1/4/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ND on 1/6/14 2:34am
With the new snow I wanted to get out, but not with the million other powder deprived people.  We decided to try out Sahale Arm to stay on mellower terrain with options to get steeper if stability was there. 

Snow on the road really started after mineral park campground, it was a little interesting in a Honda Fit without snow tires.  We arrived at the Eldorado TH to find the gate closed there, not bad since there was more then enough snow to tour on the road. 

No trip in the North Cascades is complete without some slide alder. 

We followed another groups skin track up to Cascade Pass.  Wind had come through the valley and scoured much of the new snow on west faces, east could prove great.

Great view of Mix Up from Cascade Pass.

Arm of Mix Up, Magic and Pelton

Chasing sun up Sahale Arm

Sahale looked beautiful, but scoured by wind.

We decided to not continue up the arm and drop back in to Pelton Basin having found stable dry powder.  I was too excited about getting powder turns to bother taking any pictures here, I'll just say it was great, take my word for it.  We debated doing a quick jaunt up toward mix up and then dropping in to Pelton Basin again, but my legs were tired, food sounded good, and I had a little concern of the stability since that aspect sees different wind loading.  We went back to the parking lot and found surprisingly good snow all the way to the alder field of cursing.

Wind transport on Jburg

Cross country snowboarding, not catching on anytime soon

Made it back to Mondo in time for a double cheeseburger with bacon.  Great day all around!
wow!  great pictures and it looks like you guys scored an amazing day up there.    i'm envious :)

Good Call!  Awesome pictures.

Thanks guys, I really wish that Devin hasn't of forgotten his SLR in the varying light.  Oh well it could of been worse, he could have forgot his boots  ::)

Or worse if Ilia forgot the chains to his Fit, we might not have made that last 300 feet between putting them on and turning the corner to realize we were already at the parking lot.

Looks like a "juicy" area to return to with some more snow. Thanks for the post!

Reply to this TR

jan-4-cascade-pass
ND
2014-01-06 10:34:54