Home > Trip Reports > January 5, 2014, Alpental.

January 5, 2014, Alpental.

1/5/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Randito on 1/5/14 3:15pm
Followed chairs to top.   Sun and Views were great.   Nash appeared pretty tracked out.   Skiied Edelwiess bowl a for a few laps.   Snow less sun affected than expected -- but much more wind affected than hoped -- hard icy crust and drifted wind pack in close succession.  Was able to ski to the patio without any rock hits -- but below the lower gunmount you had to be pretty picky about your line.   Two creek hops required.

Nash WAS pretty tracked out - looked like a midweek day when the lifts are running, but skied OK. Fresh tracks still available in Knoll 1/Widowmaker area for those that were interested. Snakedance was full-on adventure skiing, especially the lower section.

author=gregL link=topic=30231.msg126544#msg126544 date=1389024673]
Snakedance was full-on adventure skiing, especially the lower section.

Haw! Affirmative to that! It was good skiing, but I don't have all the twists and turns of the Snake memorized. Ended up ALMOST cliffing out skiers' right near old poma slope, just a few minutes of day light left, and had to commit to semicontrolled slide off a little 8-footer.

Snow out there Knoll 1 really good. Could feel crust when steeper but in concaves you rarely felt it. Sure wish had devoted more of a day for extensive laps, I had expected this to be just an exercise ski day where turns were just ok. Had rockskis but never nicked anything not even the low slopes over by magic carpet.

Awesome sunset lighting across the valley as I started the last ski down.

Confirming on the stellar sunny conditions. It was a nice contrast between skiing the warmed up Edelweiss bowl and then the cool dry shadowed run down International. Exiting out the lower hill required just a bit of attention and no bases were harmed. 

Too bad the high pressure ridge blocking us from our regular winter weather is breaking down - I was hoping to ski icy moguls down Upper Nash before the chairs started turning ;D

Reply to this TR

january-5-2014-alpental
Randito
2014-01-05 23:15:55