Home > Trip Reports > 1-2 January Paradise

1-2 January Paradise

1/1/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dave095790 on 1/2/14 11:18am
John and I headed to Paradise for some New Year Turns. 

We were greeted with an on-time gate opening, some warm temperatures, and tons of sun. 

After loading the packs and lathering some sun screen we headed out, looking to make it up high (maybe Camp Muir), get some turns in if the snow was good, and try our hand at a snow cave. 

The snow was very pleasantly surprising, a slight dusting and thaw layer (about 2 inches) on top of a firm crust, with another crust about 1.25 inches deeper; wind scoured aspects had a hard ice layer.  All aspects seems very nonreactive with no noticeable propagation, the only snow activity were pinwheels coming off of trees and rocks.  We made a lap down low, a lap in the middle, and lap up high, finishing with a snow cave at about 7400 feet, around McClure Rock. 

Having never made a snow cave, one of the main goals of this trip was to give it a try, and learn from the mistakes.  The cave ended up being phenomenal and well worth the time and effort to make it.  I may never bring a tent with me in the winter again.  It only took about two hours, from start to moving in and settling down.  It was totally bombproof, when I got out in the morning I didn't think there would be any wind or weather (based on not hearing or feeling anything) but was welcomed with a fresh breeze (of about 25-35 knots, gusts higher) and blowing snow/rain with very intermittent visibility - what a surprise. 

The hope was for some fresh snow on the Muir Snowfield for early morning turns, but that clearly would not be the case, so we headed downhill.  We managed to wind some nice pockets of great skiing all the way down to the road.  We skinned up to the lot, dropped some overnight gear in the truck, and headed up for another run.  Taking the main drag up to Pan Point, we ducked down just before the climb up to the Point and enjoyed some more thermally affected snow all the way back down to the road.  With the cloudy weather, and threat of rain, we called it a success with the awesome snow cave and great turns already had, and headed back up to Paradise to head back to Seattle. 
awesome!  Good for you guys for making more runs on day 2.  I might have been tempted to jump right in the rig.  The snow cave photo looks cozy.

great adventure!

Nice work - saw some of John's pics on FB but it's great to see the report to go with it.

Did you take the temp. In the Paradise igloo, cave. Down here in the sierra at Mammoth resort, they make a very large igloo - mainly for the kids.

Reply to this TR

1-2-january-paradise
dave095790
2014-01-02 19:18:38