Home > Trip Reports > Jan 1, 2014, - Skiing in the land of the Vikings

Jan 1, 2014, - Skiing in the land of the Vikings

1/1/14
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 1/2/14 2:31am

.....That would be the Minnesota Vikings.

There's plenty of snow in Minneapolis. And it's plenty cold. Temperatures have been hovering around 0 F since we arrived last weekend. Five below this morning. About five above now (at lunch time). I think we'll head to the golf course for some more cross-country skiing soon.

For the locals, it's

Looks like a wind-loaded rollover below those 2 trees---better dig a pit and ski it one at a time    ;)

THOSE Vikings have gone soft, pursuing a stadium with a roof. Hardly worthy of "We come from the land of ice and snow" and not in keeping with their NFC-North rivals GB and CHI , who embrace the weather. On the other hand that team does deserve a real football stadium after Metro stadium and the Metrodome. The Metrodome being the only indoor stadium where an NFL game was ever relocated (and also an MLB game postponed) because of snow. They (and fans) may well get their share of Norse-like weather playing in TCF Bank outdoors for a couple years.

Great photo with the skyline backdrop. Excellent use of B&W.

I was thinking maybe Ballard and wondering how you might have pulled that off!  Since you are sooo close, think about a side trip to Mount Bohemia, UP Michigan. I guess they have the most cumulative snowfall this season according to unofficial networks.  Lake effect snow.  Looks like an interesting little area.

Lowell wonderful hook I was sure you were posting an exotic ski trip report, oops you are! Keep your hand warmers handy.  Enjoy the snow and cold, it was 40+ mid mountain at Mission and no snow in sight. Happy New Year!

The sun came out today.

My son and I headed for Columbia Golf Course as the afternoon shadows were lengthening.

Temperature was about 5 degrees F. With some new wax, the snow felt great. Minneapolis XC skiing doesn't get much better.

Rounding the south turn:

Huffing up the hill to the railroad bridge:

Gliding toward the home stretch:

Hoping for more snow when we get back home!

how do they feel about fat skis on the skin track ;D
b

The title got me too. I've been looking for my uncle Hagar for 6 months. I haven't seen him since the fireworks in Vancouver in July. We visited together on his Skuldelev ship in the harbour. He was bored and cranky as usual but darn it...I love the guy, miss him too. Please pm me if you see him. SKOL!

Best day ever on the golf course today.

Sunny, 20 degrees F, a bit of new snow, with a freshly groomed track.

Temperatures are supposed to drop to 25 to 35 below zero by Monday. The governor of Minnesota has already canceled all the schools for that day. We're heading home tomorrow, just in time to miss it (I hope).

Happy New Year!

I 'crossed' it up on one of the golf courses, here in Reno, NV as a result of our cold/ dry conditions. A par 4, 475 yds.

Reply to this TR

jan-1-2014-skiing-in-the-land-of-the-vikings
Lowell_Skoog
2014-01-02 10:31:23