Home > Trip Reports > July 10, 2005, Slush Cup!

July 10, 2005, Slush Cup!

7/10/05
Posted by JW on 7/10/05 8:46am
When I pulled into the Tall Timbers in Eatonville for breakfast I had the feeling it might be just Jeanette, Ron and myself to get soaked and skim the pond 8). However inside we found Rick and Marco, and were soon joined by Dominic and Stefan. Despite the drizzle and rather un-slush cup like conditions, quite the crowd was gathering when we arrived at Reflection Lake. I wasn't truly convinced the event would succeed until I saw four more cars pull in and the likes of Skip( last years champ), Ally-sone, Cinnamon, The Cassman, Kelvin, Jessica etc. spill out 8)  So I strapped the boombox to my pack and up we went. Of course we had the timid starters , skirting the edge just sticking a toe in. But before long Josh came flyin down and headed straight for open water then pulled a perfect Skip style beach landing ;D It took a while for the players to figure out the proper lines , but basically this was the year of running on the rocks,no surprise there 8) This year's winner is Vincent for taking it all the way to the neck and saving me from doing the same crazy thing!  8) A special thanks to Cinnamon and Allyson for the great choreographed cheer!  Definite talent there! Thanks to all for coming and making this a great annual tradition!

I've got a ton of video to go thru, but its comin 8)....Jerry
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that helped me attend my first slush cup.  A special thanks to jw, ron, Jeanette, marco, and rick.  It was a great time and I will for sure be there next year.....probably with a life vest since I seemed to be swimming more then getting in turns.(HAHA) Again, thanks to everyone for making me welcome and allowing me to come to your special event.  Hope to see pics and get out with you guys again soon!!!

Dominic

It was an amazing Slush Cup despite the weather.  We had our first "Slush Cup" baptism.  Dominic, being new to the event, came flying down the slope on his board, gathered speed, but not quite enough as he skipped across the frozen section, skimmed the water and went head first into the water just shy of the shore  ;D.   Dominic, welcome to BC Slush Cup denomination  ;D.  With 30 of us in attendance, it only got better as some folks graduated from the shallow end to the deep end.  Phil just didn't seem to get enough of the deep end, with the perfect beach landings.  Eli, came skimming across the water so fast, heading for the beach that Chris Cass, from a sitting positon on the beach, did a one handed leap over the back side of a rock to avoid a possible collision.  Nice job Chris for saving yourself and your camera  ;D.  Several people from the east side, I believe Yakima, Ellensburg area joined in on the fun to.  "John Deere" sorry, I don't know your real name, just that he had on a John Deere hat, used the ever popular polling style to gain speed, only to place himself far enough across the water, but not quite close enough to shore before falling and getting completely wet.  I could go on and on about the fun, but I think I will save that for the photos and video  ;D.
BTW, very cool dress Jessica  :D, and very fun tailgate party afterwards  8).

Can't wait to see the pictures and viddy.  No amount of words could possibly describe some of the "oh shiznit I'm actually gonna get wet" facial expressions. ;D

Your pond skimming session was officially over when hyperthermea set in.

The clouds that would hinder visibility also added to the excitement.  First the sound of turns on soft snow followed by large splash/laughter followed by sounds of bases on rocks with more laughter.

You can view a few photos HERE.  More to follow  ;D.

No doubt... grins abounded.
It was really hard to pick a pinnacle run, splash or event of the day.  There were so many great and creative runs and splashes and beach landings.  Lots of folks, both male and female, "broke the code" this year on how to make fantastic, stand up, beach landings after skimming across the slush and then splashing across the deep water.  
Alyson and Cinnamon have to be contenders for top honors with their highly entertaining and creative "Sooper Cool Chick" rap routine.  

What a hoot that was. Looks like the '06 might even require a talent contest; although I can't see anyone topping that -- wait 'til you see it on Jerry's viddy.
The whole thing was a kick;  meeting new folks and renewing old aquaintences amidst the fun and frolick of the skiing, splashing and cool tunes from Jerry's boom box, which played, car to car all day long, except during the "Cool Chick" rap routine.  
For those of you that missed it; there's still slush in the pond and good weather coming up (maybe no cool chicks though  ;)).  
It was fun having an eastern washington contingent this year; bring more skis next year you guys  ;)
Slush Cup '05 is on the books and '06 is now on the drawing board -- don't miss it  8)

It was a fine, fine day - thanks for the fun, friends.  Special thanks go to JW for organizing the event and to Allyson for tending my brats - excellent work all the way around.

I was a bit worried when I pulled up at 8:59 and snoslut said he thought that the lack of other contenders meant that it had been cancelled.  However, I thought this cannot be and I was content to turn my engine off and wait to see if the troops showed up...I mean afterall they said 9ish....And I was not disappointed...soon there were gaggles of slush cup contenders.

What a blast!!!  I am definitely going to slush again next year....in fact I may even be a slush junkie!!  ;D It was great to mingle with everyone.  Thanks to everyone for making this a most excellent drizzly pnw day.

Some photos & vids can be found here:

That was a great time... on the drive and hike up there, Vince and I kept thinking that the cool temps and fog weren't exactly a recipe for a great for a slush cup.  Turned out to be wrong ;D
I keep checking back here to see if JW's got a video up yet :-)

Keep the photos coming...

I can't wait to see Vincent's near drowning - from my position at the top of the snowfield, I could only hear it.  (hope someone got film of Matt's successful attempt where Vince failed too...)

-Phil
"are you hypothermic yet?  not really?  ok, just one more run then..."

Thanks all for a great day in the mountains. I was impressed with the rally of silly souls sticking it out in the rain, the wonderful wildflowers on the approach, the sweet runs, and the sunbreaks during the BBQ.  Great to see some familiar faces and meet new folks.
BTW, very cool dress Jessica.

You can borrow it any time, Jeanette!

hope to ski y'all soon,
Jessica

You can borrow it any time, Jeanette!

Thanks, now I just have to get a nice pair of shoes to go with it, oh wait, I think I have a nice slinky pair of ski boots, with a low heel, that will work just fine  ;).

I can't believe I never made it to the first and second annual slush cups-what a blast!!! I was glad to see some old friends and make new ones. I look forward to seeing you all again on the slopes soon.

And, JW, as always...waiting anxiously for your awesome vid-can't wait!

oh man...i am still laughing at some of the craziness that went on on sunday.  ("jerry, did you acutally just say that??"). :D couldn't believe some of the things that came out of people's mouths, as well as the looks on people's faces!  good times, good times.  thanks for a party well done all, and for making the cold wet day so fun!

Finally pawed through my gigabite of stills.  Most are  darker than I like (still trying to get the new camera figured out in low light) but they still reflect the fun that was had by all.

Here's VINCENT starting to  slow in what may have been one of the more memorable runs of the day (especially for him).  There's a seven shot sequence of what happened where this came from.

PHIL nailed the same line but cut it in shorter with better RESULTS.

SNOSLUT did his trademark pose, this time while outfitted like the Gordon Fisherman.

JERRYdid this run while holding his viddycam.  Should make for interesting footy.  That's liable to be in the viddy when he gets it out.

If you want to see any more of this fun and frolick you'll have to go look HERE.

Glad I was "in town" for the Slush Cup this year!  Thanks all for the fun day in the rain!  8)  

A few pics (fortunately my camera survived the slush cup spray and rain; though my scanner doesn't seem to be working so well today):
1)  hmmm, perhaps I should get out of the 'landing zone'!
2)  An almost beach landing
3)  Nice pond skimming!
4)  The walking rando/tele ski rack  ;)

--Chris

that truely was one of the most fun rainy days I can remember. it was nice to see you all hope to ski with you again soon.

Reply to this TR

july-10-2005-slush-cup
JW
2005-07-10 15:46:58