Home > Trip Reports > Dec 28, 2013, Crystal BC

Dec 28, 2013, Crystal BC

12/28/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by danpeck on 12/29/13 12:30pm
Headed out with Kneel Turner again in search for pockets of old powder and decent snow.  We were fairly successful and enjoyed a great day.  Sun was clear, little to no wind.

This time we headed up to a col just east of Three Way.  As we skinned up we finally seemed to leave the icey melt freeze crust at about 5600 ft. where it changed to a variation of styrofoam, firm wind crust, and pockets of an inch or snow of powder.  As we gained the col we were greeted with beautiful sunshine.  We skied down to Placer Lake in the Morse Creek drainage on pseudo-not-quite-ripe-corn.

From the basin we could see a nice couloir to the east of Soudough Gap we thought we'd check out. (the one to the lookers right in the first photo, just left of the prominent peak)

The coulior we super fun.  Quite narrow at the top allowing for tight jump turns.  Currently there is a small crux with a rock band that adventurous types like Mike Rolfs might choose to jump over.  We skied down to the rock and I wanted to protect my knees for the season so I took the skis off and down climbed about 10 feet and then skied the rest of the way out.  The skiing was a mixture of skiable wind slab with occasional pockets of ice crust lurking beneath.  But fast and enjoyable.

We then headed back up to the peak above sourdough gap and ate lunch with a 360 degrees view of the cascades from Mt. Hood all the way north to Baker.  awesome.

The ski off the summit was fun with a couple of entrances into some nice chutes.  This face was more consistent than the last, but provided some vertigo as the slough skidded down with us on the wind slab creating the sensation that we were not moving€¦ kind of like skiing downstream a river. 

We then skinned back up and over into Crystal Lake basin and found one final pitch of about 15 turns of nice skiing in the protected trees.  There was however plenty of ice to traverse, stomp, and aggressively attack as we made our way back.  Ed's dynafit binding released and we sighed relief as he caught his ski before it sailed down the mountain.

I did enjoy on skinning lap as I had to chase my water bottle when it rocketed down the hill about 200 feet.

Skiing back into crystal to the west of three way was surprisingly good.  In the end however, we both agreed that the crux of the trip was skiing down tinker bell--literally a sheet of ice.  I've never experienced such ice.  I felt bad for all the kids and beginners trying to ski on that€¦ loads of people taking off skis and sliding down on their butts€¦ still out of control. 

All in all an excellent day.

more pics and video to come once I get a decent internet connection in a couple of days.
Two thumbs way up on the TR.  That col looks super fun.

More pics and a couple videos unedited to show conditions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157639181103954

Thanks Dan,
Another great day out on skis. You're a good ski buddy.
Remember, kids:
A good ski buddy:
  -Has a beacon, shovel, and probe, and knows how to use them.
  -Skis challenging terrain in control.
  -Possesses Wasatch hemoglobin and breaks trail all day.
  -Has the restraint to not post pictures and video of you skiing like a Gaper.

author=kneel turner link=topic=30145.msg126254#msg126254 date=1388429998]
Remember, kids:
A good ski buddy:
    -Possesses Wasatch hemoglobin and breaks trail all day.
   -Has the restraint to not post pictures and video of you skiing like a Gaper.

Yes, Dan sets skin tracks with alacrity and speed.
Ed, you looked good in that one vid!  8)  Better touring than I've had in a while.

Yeah, Mack. I had mentioned to Dan that even if the skiing isn't the best, I have no doubt we're making the most of what's available.
Can't help but mention that we saw NO OTHER SKIERS beyond the resort boundary on a sunny Saturday during the holiday break at one of the few accessible areas with skiable snow.
???
I know there are times when some feel the backcountry is crowded. These are not those.

Skinning with alacrity?  I'll take that!  :)

And speaking of good ski buddies-- having someone along who can save your life and another who will rid the world of war and nuclear threats is not a bad way to go eh!

Reply to this TR

dec-28-2013-crystal-bc
danpeck
2013-12-29 20:30:25