Home > Trip Reports > December 28, 2013, Lake Clara Still good.

December 28, 2013, Lake Clara Still good.

12/28/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 12/28/13 1:35pm
I usually go up and turn south toward the ski area.  Today I went up and turned north into area I haven't visited before.  It was awesome!  North facing slopes above 5500' still ski soft.  Below that elevation there is a rain crust which I thought skied fine, but some might disagree.  Tools used on this tour:

-microspikes
-skins
-pruning saw

All three were necessary, but the most important is probably the trail traction devices.  I used the saw to get unstuck in the thick south facing timber between open glades.

I met two snow-shoers today, and followed Jamie Tackman's tracks from yesterday.  Other than that, this area remains pristine.  Thank God there isn't enough snow for the snowmobiles to get in here and ruin it.

Today's tour in blue

Glacier Peak

Mount Stuart

Moxie making tracks

and here is proof that the skiing is still good.  I know nobody believes it, since the ridge is all rock solid slippery ice nastiness. 

https://vimeo.com/82862028

If you have tomorrow free and have been complaining about the skiing on the passes, you should drive up to Mission Ridge parking lot and walk up the trail to Lake Clara.  The skiing above is worth the effort.  (don't go without traction devices - I recommend microspikes)
I'm back on the coast so I can't join you but I'm sure you are still finding the goods. I like the pruning saw addition to the kit.

Reply to this TR

december-28-2013-lake-clara-still-good
mikerolfs
2013-12-28 21:35:22