Home > Trip Reports > December 24, 2013, Lake Clara

December 24, 2013, Lake Clara

12/24/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 12/24/13 1:01pm
My typical Lake Clara loop involves skinning up the trail, past the lakes, above the lakes to the skiing.  Then after you ski what you like there above the lakes, the easy exit is to enter the ski area to the northeast and follow the runs to your car.  In early season (still) the ski area closes the runs adjacent to the Lake Clara basin, so this loop is not "legal".    Today I did the unthinkable and resigned myself to an exit down the trail.  I'm so glad I went!

The lower half of the trail is see-through ice and I walked this with Microspikes on my boots.  The upper half is mostly snow covered and is skinnable.  On exit I skied the upper half and walked the lower.  I would characterize the exit as "athletic".

The skiing above the lake today was fabulous!  Not just pockets, but whole pitches of good snow.  It is totally worth the ugly approach to ski the upper slopes.  Take traction devices for your boots.  I don't think the trail is navigable without.

nasty trail

taste of the goods

selfies

moxie

bobcat pee hole.  See the scratch marks?

Thanks for posting some goods here, Mike - the recent warming trend had me worried there's not much of them to be found these days.
Looks like you and your 4-legged companion had a blast ;- )

Best tracks I've seen in a while! Very jealous. All of  the Blewett looks like your see through track out. Might go hike another Cashmere brown hill...

Moxie getting faceshots! How's Walker, is he still getting out? He must be 14 or 15?

author=aaron_wright link=topic=30099.msg126094#msg126094 date=1388010343]
Moxie getting faceshots! How's Walker, is he still getting out? He must be 14 or 15?

Believe it or not, Moxie is currently my best ski dog.  Walker is still the best athlete, but he is so deaf that if he gets ahead and I want to turn, I'll lose him.

Aaron I'm going to head back up again tomorrow late morning to check what damage this warm weather has done.  Join me if you like.  I think avajane may also come along.

10:15 at the trailhead.  bring traction for the trail.

Love the dog shots. Looks like a keeper of a beast.

Reply to this TR

december-24-2013-lake-clara
mikerolfs
2013-12-24 21:01:21