Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2013, Silver Peak Basin

December 19, 2013, Silver Peak Basin

12/19/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Randito on 12/19/13 9:52am
Road was drivable in my AWD Honda CRV to Windy Pass.  Some shenaigains getting turned around to park, but easily handled with my snow shovel.

2-3 inches of fluff over a mostly supportive crust.  Skinned up roads/xc trails to top of clearcut -- not enough coverage for direct skiining.  Once in the basin, coverage improved, but still a few rocks sticking out. 

Near the top of the basin as the slope steepened, ski crampons became useful as the fluff  isn't bonded to the crust.   I had hoped to at least get to the ridgeline to get some views south (and maybe ski a bit of the west slope)  -- Unfortunately the crust proved too slippery for my dog's claws and despite several hard tries on her part, she couldn't get past the basin headwall.   So I hiked back down to her and shared my sandwich, before ripping skins.  Skiing out the basin was actually pretty nice -- some scratchy turns on crust, but also some smooth where the fluff had collected.   I would have headed back up for another lap, but my dog was favoring one of her paws, so just one run.

Wow, that's way better than I would've expected ... thanks for sharing, Randy.

Nice effort ! Thanks for the report cause I had no idea about that rd even being open still!

Well, this may have been it for the road -- hopefully the forecast of over a foot of snow between tonight and tommorrow at Snoqualmie will be true.

nice to not over work the canine on the crunch.
b

Could you sharpen the claws??? ;)

Reply to this TR

december-19-2013-silver-peak-basin
Randito
2013-12-19 17:52:44