Home > Trip Reports > Herman south peak - Dec 17

Herman south peak - Dec 17

12/17/13
Posted by chuck on 12/18/13 2:51am
We took a direct boot pack route from Bagley creek to the top of the south, false peak on Herman yesterday. Snow up high (~5700') was ankle to boot deep and nicely bonded.  It rode like pow until we were about half way down (~5000'). Then snow gradually decreased in depth and began the transition to styrofoam. Getting an edge in was viable all the way as the crust layer was rough and grippy, an acceptable layer to build on top of I hope.

There are places in the boot pack that are a bit exciting, not much more than toe grip on steep icy rocks where stable footwork and pole planting is super important. I climbed with my helmet on. Also, you need to really, really plan your descent on the way up cause its all different this early.  There are still many creeks, holes and drops in lines that usually roll right on thru.

We boot packed instead of skinned because it seemed easier with this early snow pack and firmness. My split and skins were on my back but it would have been a much greater effort to work up that route on skis.

Let it snow!

Reply to this TR

herman-south-peak-dec-17
chuck
2013-12-18 10:51:53