Home > Trip Reports > Scottish Lakes High Camp, Dec 8-10

Scottish Lakes High Camp, Dec 8-10

12/8/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Lynden Don on 12/16/13 3:52pm
Up at High Camp they have a yearly ski trail marking work party.  This is my fourth year and I have to say that the early season snow was great.  The team that I was with worked McCue Ridge and the upper trails leading to the ridge.  These work parties have always gave me some first time experiences.  Some of the more memorable experiences, developing a love hate relationship for snow mobiles, packing in chain saws  to cut out late fall storm blow downs.........while on skies. Lashing as many bamboo poles as you could handle to your pack so that we only had to skin up from camp once.  This year the bamboo taught me how fun it is to ski with a 7 foot ski pole.  Refer to "Hoks and the single pole" on You Tube.  The guys up at the Glacier Ski shop have been known to tele with a Kayak paddle, now I'm interested in trying it out.
Anyways the skiing was great at High Camp and as always I'm looking forward to my next trip.

Sorry no pictures, I forgot my camera at home, besides my hands were full of bamboo poles

See you in the High Country

Don
Excellent Don!  It's good to know Scottish Lakes HC is gearing up for the season. 

I went up to High Camp Dec 16-19 and did bring my camera!
Sunrises, hot tubbing and some skiing too

Unfortunately the warm period a week ago wasn't kind to most of the snowpack up there, producing a variable crust in many places (not all!) but it did snow a couple inches while we were there and we found a couple wind-loaded spots on the ridge with very good skiing. It was, as usual, stunningly beautiful up high around the lakes with occasional views of Glacier Peak. It also looks like there is excellent ice climbing to be had around lake Julius.

We lucked out and had the whole place to ourselves for a couple days, which led to some ridiculous late night card games and extreme hot-tubbing.

Eric was a fantastic host and has all the beta on the runs with the best conditions. Bring a topo if you go.

For the most part all of the hosts have their favorite spots to play.

Don

Reply to this TR

scottish-lakes-high-camp-dec-8-10
Lynden Don
2013-12-16 23:52:37