Home > Trip Reports > 12/16 crystal

12/16 crystal

12/16/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kneel Turner on 12/16/13 2:49pm
Dan peck and I headed out south of the resort today in search of adventure, exercise, and maybe some not so horrible skiing.
Things were better than expected on all accounts.
We started from the front row of A lot at 8:00 and stopped by to sign out w patrol, but they were busy having a meeting. We waited around for awhile but bailed in favor of skiing.
Expected clouds, light winds, and moderate temps.
Got sun, cold, and calm (except warm in the afternoon sun). Excellent views!
Snow was 1-4" of cold old powder on a melt/freeze, mostly supportable crust.  It was actually a lot better for skiing than skinning. The soft snow on top was unconsidated and the crust below was slippery in the shade making for little confidence of purchase on traverses. Ski crampons don't work when you leave them in the car.
Dropped into crystal lakes basin from west of 3way @10am. Climbed south to saddle above sheep lake, and skied back down to crystal lakes on north facing. Snow was in good shape, weather was beautiful, and we both wanted to stretch the legs a bit, so we headed towards sourdough gap.
We climbed SE and dropped into Morse creek drainage, skinned to sourdough, and continued north with some side slipping and a short boot to gain a nice entrance back into Morse. Climbed up to the first notch off of 3way's south ridge, short drop with skins on and climbed back up to drop back into Silver basin pretty close to where we left the resort. An nice long return to the car for a tallboy, hi fives, and comfortable shoes.
A great day out on skis, better than expected.
This sounds like a fun loop - thanks for posting (bookmarking this one for sure ;- ) We toured at Crystal on Saturday and I concur - it skied a lot better than expected, at least based on how poorly things look like at the parking lot.

Thanks Ed for joining me!  Here are a few pictures.   The day was amazingly fun.  I thoroughly enjoyed exploring terrain I've never been in.

And here's a link to the rest of the images and 2 short videos that show some sweet tele turns from sun-up to sun-down

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157638782179893/

And one more… I love the green rocks of the cascades in winter shade…

Awesome photos. Love those tele turns.

Salivating! Thanks for sharing.

Damn dudes this looks stellar. Excellent style in excellent conditions.

Yeah, great photos and looks like an outstanding day.  Sign me up for some of that.

Stellar---love the summit cloud on Tahoma, too.

Ed, the second pic shows you still have the freeheel soul  8)

mac… Check out the 2 videos of Ed dropping the knee on flickr.  He's mastered it.

Reply to this TR

12-16-crystal
Kneel Turner
2013-12-16 22:49:24