Home > Forum > Rando Race from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass

Rando Race from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
16 Dec 2013 06:45 - 16 Dec 2013 18:11 #211308 by nsteere
On Feb 8th 2014 this historic endurance event will test the rigor of those who wish to tread the snowy trail pioneered by some of the hardiest ski mountains in Washington State history.  The race will be run by teams of 3 from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass ending at the historic Meany Lodge.  The 18 mile route primarily follows the Pacific Crest Trail along what was known as the “high route” between Snoqualmie Pass and the railroad stop of Martin, near Stampede Pass.  Decompress after the race at Meany Lodge with an included dinner, rehash your “trip reports” with fellow competitors and spend the night in a bunk at the lodge.  A hot breakfast and lunch the following day, and all the skiing your legs can handle on the rope tows that make up the longest continuously operating ski resort in Washington are also included.  Spectators or those wanting to witness a piece of living history are welcome!...  To learn more, or to register a team and become part of snow sliding history see the below links!
www.meanylodge.org/misc/patrol_race.html
www.facebook.com/patrolrace
Map of the currently planned route - www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tr...8b-89d7-d170e7967d43

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Dec 2013 07:51 #211309 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Rando Race from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass
Since this is an announcement about a future event, not a trip report, it should go in Random Tracks, where it will be more visible until the race on February 8.

Marcus, can you move it?

Here's more background on the historic Patrol Race:

alpenglow.org/skiing/patrol-race-2004/index.html

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Dec 2013 08:06 #211310 by Marcus
Already moved ;)

More
16 Dec 2013 15:07 #211322 by Jason4
Given the current snowpack perhaps you should plan for a nice trail run instead? :D

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
16 Dec 2013 17:47 #211328 by Jason_H.
Awesome. I will have to do this. Sounds like a blast. Exciting to see a race like this again!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Dec 2013 19:15 #211331 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Rando Race from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass

Awesome. I will have to do this. Sounds like a blast. Exciting to see a race like this again!

Hope to see you there, Jason.

Folks interested in the Patrol Race should be aware that it is limited to 12 three-person teams. The limit is due to the historical race format. Teams will be started at 10-minute intervals starting at 6 a.m. The team that gets all its members to the finish line (within a minute of each other) in the shortest time wins. The organizers need to limit the number of teams to keep the race from going too long.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Feb 2014 11:36 - 06 Feb 2014 11:42 #220181 by Lowell_Skoog
I posted a report about the trail-setting trip that Nigel and I did on Wednesday, Feb 5:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=30652.0

We broke a key section of the route, from Windy Pass to Tinkham Pass along the Crest Trail.  This is the most alpine section of the route.  More trail breaking is planned before Saturday, but I won't be involved in that.

I want to post some comments and advice about the cold, based on what we experienced on Wednesday.  I believe it is supposed to be somewhat warmer on Saturday, but it may be windier than we experienced, so the net result may be about the same.

Don't underestimate the cold out there right now. With the easterly breeze blowing it's seriously cold when you're near the ridgeline of the Cascade Crest. Key exposed locations along the Patrol Route are Windy Pass, Tinhkam Pass, Baldy Pass, and the divide south of Stampede Pass.  If you're not familiar with these spots, refer to my route description here:

alpenglow.org/skiing/patrol-race-2004/patrol-route.html

Hands

I frost-nipped several fingertips yesterday. I think it happened while dealing with my skins.  I'm seriously thinking of bringing my enormous OR expedition mitts on Saturday. I had an old pair of Helly Hansen shell mittens yesterday (which are really quite warm) but they were marginal.  Having a long cuff that you don't have to futz with helps a lot.  I don't normally have much trouble with my hands, but yesterday was marginal.

Skins

Skin management is critical when it's cold and windy. I'll be carrying two pairs of skins on Saturday, one optimized for gliding, the other for climbing.  My gliding skins were losing their stick when I got to Windy Pass so I switched to my climbing skins for the Crest Trail.  But the skins had been in my pack and they were so cold that I think I frostnipped my fingers separating them and applying them to my skis.  If you have two pairs of skins, consider carrying one pair in your jacket at all times so that it is warm and ready to swap.

Water

My poor-man's hydration system failed completely yesterday.  The drinking tube (which I had enclosed in a neoprene sleeve) froze solid within a half-hour of the start.  Nigel had a drinking tube integrated into the shoulder strap of his pack and it did much better.  I'm probably going to carry a simple water bag in my pack (no drinking tubes) filled with warm-to-hot water at the start.

Batteries

I was skiing with a GPS clipped to my shoulder strap for navigation.  The batteries in the GPS had been charged a couple weeks ago and stored, unused since then.  They quickly went dead. I switched to my backup batteries which I fully charged the night before the trip and they did okay.  If you have rehargeable batteries, make sure they are all freshly charged.  Cell phones too.

Neck gaiter (face mask)

I don't always bring a neck gaiter but I did yesterday.  Very glad I did. I was glad to be able to cover my nose when I was in the wind. I'll have it along on Saturday for sure.  Great for preventing frostbite.

Hard shells

My legs were doing okay in soft shell pants, but I had lightweight hard shell pants in my pack and I'll carry them again on Saturday. I wore a light hard shell windshirt all day yesterday, even over my down parka.

Goggles

The forecast calls for "breezy" weather on Saturday.  This could produce blowing snow at some of the more wind exposed locations.  (See list above.) I was just using sunglasses yesterday but I'm planning to bring goggles as well on Saturday. 

If you go prepared, the cold is very manageable, and not all that bad.  Don't depend on moving fast to keep warm.  If that strategy fails, it could fail very badly.

Stay warm and ski fast!

• hedonaut
  • [hedonaut]
More
06 Feb 2014 13:29 #220182 by hedonaut
Looks fun. Wish I could join this year, hope you are able to sustain it in future years.

I wonder: if you kept your GPS (or any battery-op items) closer to your core, would it work? I've noticed on v. cold days when I take my camera from my pack it can be nonfunctional, but after some time in my pocket it revitalizes.

Hypothesis is that too-cold batteries have not lost their charge, rather are just too dormant to share it...

More
09 Feb 2014 09:54 #220204 by Brandonee
Just a quick note on yesterday's race. First of all thanks Nigel for stepping up and getting this thing going, hopefully the first of many years to come! Also a big thanks to all the different people that volunteered to set track throughout the course (Lowell, Nigel, Silas, Randy, I'm sure many others too). Another big thanks to the volunteers that stood out in the cold at the checkpoints. Lastly, thanks to the mountaineers and everyone at Meany. It sure was nice arriving at Meany cold and hungry and being served a large bowl of homemade split pea soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with hot coffee and hot chocolate! Couldn't have asked for better conditions for the first resurrected Patrol Race!

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
09 Feb 2014 23:18 - 14 Feb 2014 09:47 #220239 by nsteere
I'd say by all accounts, the race was generally a very big success.  We had nearly perfect conditions, fantastic people helping out and everybody returned safely.  While Wolf Bauer's team record time of 4:37 (1936) remains firmly unbroken, a big congratulations is due to Cody Lorie, Jed Yeiser and Nick Middleton who overcame car trouble, which almost prevented them from getting to the start, and logged the winning time of 7:09!  I'll try to get some more fun photos posted to the facebook page soon.

Huge thanks to the Meany Lodge crew, Chris and Ben of Pro Guide Services, Erik and Troy of CBSP, my folks Monte and Ellen, Silas, Randy, Lowell, my wife Sarah and many many others who made this thing possible.  And a big thanks to the teams who tolerated and were good natured about all the little hiccups along the way.

Full Results Here:
Cody Lourie  7:09
Jed Yeiser
Luke Shy

Jason Hummel  7:29
Kyle Miller
Oliver Lazenby

Doug Bardsley  8:11
Brian Finerow
Roy Peterson

Colin Johnson  9:15
Adam Frey
Steve Moenaert

Bruce Jahnke  9:18
Patrick Stanton
Bill Brooks

Jason Kuo 9:56
Rob Stephenson
Gavin Woody

Andy Dappen  9:57
Tom Janisch
Jamie Tackman

Anne Brink  DNF
Jamshid Khajavi
Eileen Jackson

Kaleva Liikane  DNF
Grady Steere
Steve Cooke

Jay Brazier  DNF
Scott Henderson
Ryan Megenity

Lowell Skoog DNS (5:39)
Brandon Kern

Attachments:

• skiinggiraffe
  • [backcountry_cody]
More
10 Feb 2014 13:23 #220252 by skiinggiraffe
Replied by skiinggiraffe on topic Re: Rando Race from Snoqualmie Pass to Stampede Pass

Cody Lourie 7:09
Jed Yeiser
Nick Middleton

Nigel, thanks for putting on a great race!

Just wanted to clarify that our team consisted of myself, Jed Yeiser and Luke Shy who was a last minuet substitution for Nick Middleton who unfortunately couldn't make the race. Thanks for stepping in Luke!

Looking forward to giving it a shot again next year!

Cody

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
10 Feb 2014 14:13 #220254 by nsteere
I just made some corrections to names - Luke Shy was on the winning team (sorry Luke). Bill Brookes was on Team Alpentrol.

I wanted to give a huge thanks as well to BCA who donated over $2000 in prizes and to K2 for all the support, and to The Summit for working with us on parking and letting us walk up their hill in the wee hours of the morning. Delorme Maps also made some donations but unfortunately they came in late. I guess that means we already have a start on the prize packs for next year.

The crew at Meany Lodge never fails to go above and beyond on being able to make things happen as well so I cannot give them enough credit on all fronts. For those that stayed and rode the powder via the rope tow on Sunday - I hope you had as much fun (not racing) as I did:)

Let it snow!
Nigel

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
14 Feb 2014 10:48 #220366 by nsteere
I made a correction to Lowell and Brandon's time (our time keeping was not so accurate this year) and if you haven't seen the trip report that Silas generated and want to here it is...www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=30687.0

Good times had by all!!! - Nigel