Home > Trip Reports > December 14, Crystal Mtn Loop, decent turns

December 14, Crystal Mtn Loop, decent turns

12/14/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MtnPavlas on 12/14/13 1:50pm
While almost bare at the TH, the coverage was getting better as we skinned up and was actually fairly good from the Bullion Basin up (~5500'). We went on to the ridge above the basin, and followed it up and down in a loop around a good portion of the ski area, hitting Crown Point, Pickhandle Point, Bear Gap, and another peak/point beyond that. Burnt a lap here, another one there.

Snow was better than expected (especially on the N slopes) but very variable - from blower on top of firm, thru firmer pinwheeled surface, to deep semi-heavy. It all skied surprisingly well (I know, Dave, you're getting tired of me saying that ;-) but my perception could have easily been altered by the dry season reality we've been going thru.

If I were to go tomorrow, I'd hit the bowls SW of the ski area (Forest Queen), mainly the ones above Miners Lakes and Hen Skin Lake.

On the East side of the ridge above Bullion Basin:

Mild weather made for a very enjoyable trip, and the clouds created some dramatic lighting - a super nice day in the backcountry:

Oh, and beware - early season obstacles exist ;-)
Early season obstacles? That looks like wolverine damage to me.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=29996.msg125701#msg125701 date=1387124280]
Early season obstacles? That looks like wolverine damage to me.

Actually, it was yetti but I didn't want to risk being proclaimed a lunatic and thus ostracized from the TAY community :)

Reply to this TR

december-14-crystal-mtn-loop-decent-turns
MtnPavlas
2013-12-14 21:50:08