Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2005, Muir Snowfield

July 4, 2005, Muir Snowfield

7/4/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/4/05 6:56pm
We (son Zach and I) had hoped to ski the upper Nisqually Chute, but the view from the Nisqually bridge changed that plan.  The chute looked passable, but we couldn't see any good exit out of the valley - just a long scramble up scree slopes to regain the trail back to Paradise.  Continuous snow started just above Pebble Creek.  We headed up the snowfield, turning around at about 9000 feet.  The most interesting sight of the day was a pair of Japanese nuns (wearing habits!) kicking their steps up the snowfield!  We were a bit disappointed about missing the main chute, but snow conditions were absolutely perfect (at about 12:30).  We ducked into one of the lower chutes, and that allowed us to bypass the Pebble Creek traffic jam.  On the hike back down (at about 2:30), we did see someone skiing the main Nisqually Chute - but we couldn't see the route he or she took back up.  It was a beautiful day just for hiking.  The skiing was gravy - and some very nice gravy at that.  We hiked up about 3600 to ski down about 2000 - not too bad a ratio considering how bare the mountain looks.  I'd predict that the main chute and the smaller chute we took won't be passable after a few more days.
As in not passible sunday the 10th?

There were a couple of stretches in the middle of the main chute that looked quite thin (snow cover only 15-20 feet wide) - but I was looking at them from across the valley.  They were passable Monday, I'm guessing they might not be passable in a week.  But you'd be able so see that easily before starting up.  I'd probably bring a pair of binoculars (I forgot to do that) so you can check it out closely from below.  Maybe we'll hear from the person who skied it Monday afternoon (if they're a TAYer).

Hey, speak of the devil, I layed the tracks down the nisqually chute. If I had my camera I'd post a TR to show it off. It was fun seeing my glowing white tracks in the dirty snow from even the Nisq bridge. I found it to be worth it and a blast, but I do enjoy feeling fatigue. By 7-10 I don't think I'd do it. The hike out isn't too bad. You don't have to go up the scree slopes as many do to regain the main trail. Stay low and look for the visible trail that will gradually regain the trail just a few hundred feet above parking lot. Some of the connecting fingers of snow soon won't connect, so the continuous (keep boards on) line won't be possible. You could tough it out, the turns on the steep sections are a nice thrill. You'd just have to work more. You realize how long and steep the thing is once you in it! Reminds me of the adrenaline some chutes at Jackson & Blackcomb give you. But, yeah, snow down from Muir was very nice. Fast and smooth! 8)
Take care out there!

I saw your tracks, and I was definitely envious.  I skied that route a couple of times last year, and it's one of my favorites.  I guess it will have to wait til next year for me.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2005-muir-snowfield
GregSimon
2005-07-05 01:56:51