Home > Trip Reports > July 4 Paradise glacier

July 4 Paradise glacier

7/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Pete A on 7/4/05 5:36pm
Muir on the way up was quite the zoo...always amazes me there aren't more rescues on that mountain when you see folks in rented plastic boots, jeans, cotton t-shirt, no sunglasses, struggling under a huge pack and then they tell you 'they are going for the summit tomorrow'  scary...

Becky and I left the crowds behind as we skied from Anvil Rock onto the paradise glacier.  Just a few old tracks (Snow Troll's from last week?) but no one in sight.  The main crevasse at 7800-8000ft isn't a problem.  There were several spots to ski right over on snowbridges...no mandatory end running just yet.
The last 700ft above the col by Cowlitz rocks there are a few more crevasses to the south.

Snow was a bit sticky down low, but up high it was fantastic.

Rather long hike though from Cowlitz Rocks over scree to get to any large patch of continuous snow on the lower paradise 'glacier'.  The sad state that the lower glacier and the williwakas glacier are in made me wonder how many more years before they melt away entirely.  

pete--thanks for the report!  sounds like you and becky had a good time, and were able to avoid the majority of the crowds on your descent.  about how high did you have to climb before you hit snow on your way up to muir (above pebble creek, or higher?)  did you guys ski much below cowlitz after you crossed the scree?  

Nice report, Pete.
Sounds like about the some conditions we ran into.

muir snowfield coverage is well into mid-summer conditions and its a dry trail all the way to pebble creek. we just worn trail runners to anvil rock, figuring it was faster to carry boots and skis rather than skinning up.

The contiuous snow ends at about the elevation of the pass/col next to Cowlitz Rocks...thats where we shouldered the skis and had to hike till we were on the lower paradise glacier, from there we could skate on the flats till maybe 6300ft.  

Just a few old tracks (Snow Troll's from last week?) but no one in sight.

I bet those were Bill F's tracks.
Sounds like we need a little snow replenishment up there.

Reply to this TR

july-4-paradise-glacier
Pete A
2005-07-05 00:36:26