Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2005, Flett Glacier and Observation Rock

July 3, 2005, Flett Glacier and Observation Rock

7/3/05
Posted by sheispiste on 7/3/05 9:11pm
When longer weekend plans fell through, Chris Cass offered a wildflower and July-turns day trip that any naturalist/skier would have a hard time passing up. I could hardly believe the sun that streamed through my east facing windows at sunrise. This was not the expected forecast! Blue bird skies, wildflowers, and skiing in July...WOW! The washboard road to the Mowich Lake trailhead was awash with the nodding heads of avalanche lilies (Erythronium montanum). In the gorgeous Spray Park meadow other species showered us with their earlier than usual fanfare: Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja sp), Shooting star (Dodecatheon spp.), bear grass (Xerophyllum tenax), lupine (Lupinus spp.), sickle headed lousewort (Pedicularis sp.). Some heather was blooming and we were treated to the appearance --and aroma--of sky pilot (Polemonium sp.) in a rock outcrop above 7,000 feet.

During lunch just above Spray Park the wind picked up a bit and the temperatures cooled. A few cirrus clouds began to build. The view of the North Cascades was amazing even with Glacier Peak hiding under a mottled cloud layer. We left the red porous rocks and traipsed into the snow. I began skinning at around 6400 feet and had only 5 short portages on the accent (and 4 on the descent) to reach the knoll just under Observation Rock. By then, the temperatures were quite warm again, and Echo Rock was beautifully bathed with gossamer clouds.  Cloud shadows dotted the broad snowy canvas below us. Under less than ideal lighting conditions for fabulous photographs, Cass spilled off the knoll first dropping a knee in fine style. (Yes, Cass on telemark skis again!). The snow was sweet, buttery, and creamy. We were hooting and hollering down the snow field as we lay a set of super S's in the slope. We followed other tracks from the first descent portage to the campsite of a Seattle couple. I was jealous they could yo-yo this field at sunset. As we chatted about the fabulous day, the clouds pulled away from the mountain. By the time I changed out of my T2's the sun returned in full force. I kept looking over my shoulder at this glorious landscape as I hiked the well maintained trail. Despite a slight wind, the mosquitoes were more than moderate. We had to keep moving. Or at least moving when we weren't photographing illuminated avalanche lilies, the mountain, and a pair of marmots that entertained me close by. The Eagle Cliff lookout offered some final views of Rainier as we pushed back along the trail to the Lake.

Photos to follow.
--Jessica
Thanks Nice report! The combination of wildflowers and creamy snow is good right now.

Some following photos:

1)  "Field-O Avalanche Lillies"
2)  Reflection of Rainier (Spray Park)
3)  Approaching Observation Rock
4)  Passing the Martian-like landform of Echo Rock
5)  Jessica drops low on the upper Flett Glacier
6)  Jessica again on the Flett Glacier

A fun day out for sure; the ~1,600 vert. ft of creamy corn skiing and the wildflower displays made it all worth the ~14 miles of hiking and 4,000+ vertical feet ascended  :)

nice work, Wipe!  It's good to know you took advantage of the weather...
-s

Still waiting for the Cass-a-mark pictures . . .

Good trip you two!   8)

They'll come Greg. That roll of slides is finished and will be developed this week. Stay tuned.

Huh? What are slides?   8) Just kidding Jes, keep on shootin....Jerry

Huh? What are slides?   ....Jerry

Slides:
1. Casswipe carves the Cass-a-mark turn on Winchester Peak
2. Cass on a patch
3. tele? uh, sure, right
4. marmot
5. Rainier from Eagle Cliff
6. All aglow

enjoy!
-Jessica

Casswipe carves the Cass-a-mark

Nice! Thanks, Jessica, I might have to get a tele setup myself!

2. tele? uh, sure, right

Oi!  some great form there  ???, yikes.   I'm glad there are no pics from the Flett of my first telemark casswipe-out ;D  

Greg- maybe see you free-heelin' on summer corn soon?!

I might have to get a tele setup myself!

There must be some sort of inside joke here that I'm not getting. Why in the world would you want a tele setup?  ;)

Why in the world would you want a tele setup?

Mostly to ski with my wife on groomers. If it comes down to a choice between that and a pair of Trab Duo Sint Aeros with Dynafit Titan Races, though, it will hardly be a contest.

what the...cass on tele AGAIN??  one day on rando, next on tele...before you know it, he'll probably be strapping on a snowboard!  

Why in the world would you want a tele setup?  ;)

why not all three?  ;)  (refer to upcoming slush cup tr on 7/10...)

Allyson, I'm just teasing Greg since he's such a Dynafit lover.

Hey Greg, I'll trade you a pair of never-used Tua Hydrogen w/ Superloops for your TM11s and modified TLTs. ;-)

Hey Greg, I'll trade you a pair of never-used Tua Hydrogen w/ Superloops for your TM11s and modified TLTs.

Uhhh . . . I need them until I work out this Trab deal. Speaking of which, Mark Lengel from SLC, who will be importing Trab into the US next season, will be in WA in August with some skis to demo, probably on the Muir Snowfield. When he firms up the date, I'll post the details here.

Reply to this TR

july-3-2005-flett-glacier-and-observation-rock
sheispiste
2005-07-04 04:11:41