Home > Trip Reports > July3 , 2005, Cowlitz rocks, lower paradise and wi

July3 , 2005, Cowlitz rocks, lower paradise and wi

7/3/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 7/3/05 3:49pm
Dorothea,Ron Jarvis and myself  opted for some easy turns up at cowlitz Rocks and Paradise glacier area. As we were packing up Joedabker drove up and we quickly invited him to join us.It was my first time skiing with him besides being a good guy he turned out to be excellent  camera fodder!  Oh, were the wildflowers ever out! We were visually seranaded both on the way in and even more on the way out after a day of full sun.We carried our skis up to Steven's creek.The paradise Glacier is still very skiable but only for those who are experienced on it . The main crevasse at the pitch break has now opened up there is some bridging left in the middle lower down by "land's end " the small crevasse is about 20 ' long. Stream crossings are now challenging.
Cowlitz rocks side still is holding 500'vert. The Williwakas Glacier still exists! The Williwakas lies to the east of Paradise glacier and while niether big nor steep. is a fun place to kickback. I lingered to take pictures of the flowers on the way out and realizied this is my Heaven.

Ron and I were extra curtieous to Dorothea even treating her to supper on the home. We have now come to suspect that she just might be the "The Missing Hapsburg princess" the long lost heiress to the Austrian Crown Jewels but more importantly the "The Crown Skis" and all the Austrian Crown Ski fields!
Robie
Pictures at
http://groups.msn.com/RobiesBackcountrySkiers/paradiseglaciercowlitzrocks.msnw?Page=1
Great photos of the skiing and flowers, Robie, looks like you guys had a pretty fun day ;D. Thanks for sharing.

Well thanks for the kind words Robie.
I really had a great time with all y'all. Everything was fantastic-Skiing, hiking, flowers, waterfalls, company. I enjoyed the Ron J stories and tales of skiing past, Robie's helpfull insights, Dorthea's energy and motivation. All to come back a warm welcoming party at the car. Perfect day-except for the skins being left at home  ???.
I'm grateful that our paths crossed at the trailhead.
No pictures to post since the camera was next to the skins, but a lifetime of memories.
Joe

Sounds fun , looks like I missed a good one! 8)

Yeah, Jer, I hate to rub it in, but you did miss a good one.
Youda loved chasing Joe down this line:

The weather was stellar and the snow conditions were smooth as a gigolo's favorite pickup line.
And speaking of smooth, I though we'd get some entertainment when Joe started "skinning" up a 1000 ft pitch with skis only (he forgot his skins) but the entertainment value wained as he lapped all of us with an extra run and climbed the same pitch again the second time before I could make it to the top   >:(

A few more pics of the trip can be viewed HERE.

Thanks Ron, That was the picture I knew you had for the cover!

I like THIS ONE of you, too, Robman, with the fronts of your skis sticking out in thin air... :)

...but the entertainment value wained as he lapped all of us with an extra run and climbed the same pitch again the second time before I could make it to the top...

But your skins were glopping real bad, right Ron?
(That would do it.)

But your skins were glopping real bad, right Ron?
(That would do it.)
Yeah, that's the ticket... Right.  I shoulda just pulled my skins; then I'da smoked 'im on the climb. Yeah.  That's what happened.
Good insight, Sky.  

Reply to this TR

july3-2005-cowlitz-rocks-lower-paradise-and-wi
Robie
2005-07-03 22:49:49