Home > Trip Reports > June 30, 2005, Muir Snowfield

June 30, 2005, Muir Snowfield

6/30/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by marcr on 6/30/05 9:17pm
I got the idea in my head about midnight wednesday that I should make use of the decent weather, before it closed out as predicted.  Getting an early start is so much harder when you don't have a partner waiting, so I left the house at the not-so-alpine start of 8:30.  After the obligatory coffee and gas stops, and a run to the RMI rental counter to borrow up poles, as I had accidentally left mine home >:(, I left paradise at 11:30, in low clouds.  Visibilty extended to pan point, but the upper mountain was obscured.  

The trail was dry up to about 7000 feet, and consistent snow didn't start until about 7200.  I wore tennis shoes up to this point, then switched to boots, but continued to hike up, rather than convert the board to split mode and use skins.  I was making pretty good time on foot, and it seemed more efficient.  Besides, I had dinner plans and needed to get home on time, so I didn't have a lot of time to futz around. :)

I've never been up in this area mid week, and I felt a bit of solitude on the hike.  I passed a few hikers, climbers, and two AT skiers, but not the ususal weekend mob.  A welcome change.  

I stopped at around 9400, and started getting ready to head down.  The clouds had gotten thicker, and visibility was pretty short.  While I was clicking into the board, a sucker hole opened up to show me just how close to the hut I was.   ;)

The ride down was sweet, on smooth and not too sticky corn.  No hike-a-board required until I got back to the trail.    On the short walk back to the parking lot, I got lots of comments from hikers on their way up.  3 hours hiking for a 20 minute ride down?  Was it worth it?  Absolutely!!  On the drive out I passed a few of the cyclists I saw coming into the park.  Possibly folks training for RAMROD in a few weeks?  I'll see you there!

Well done marcr!  I end up going solo sometimes. I always see if any pals can go, but if they can't, I ain't sitting on the couch all day! Muir is a good place for this. Many of us have the route memorized, and I avoid avalanche or crevasse areas too this way. But, yep, I've been at work all week seeing blue sky, and it's gonna sock-in Sat./Sun. I'm going to give it a go on Mon. either way. I hope it's clear and can do Nisqually Chute. Carefully going from one Juan  ;) to the next in a white out is interesting, but not the ripping we want. Howdy goes out to Chris & Renee I think it was; I met them a few weeks ago and with Mike skied the Chute right after them.  Some pretty tame wet slides became bigger and pretty exciting in the Chute. I think we were well aware this could happen so all were fine. Mike forgot one of his poles, and still was ripping the steep glop with the controlled wrecklessness style he has. Thanks marcr, I won't, as you didn't, just stay home! 8)

Reply to this TR

june-30-2005-muir-snowfield
marcr
2005-07-01 04:17:46