Home > Trip Reports > December 5, 2013, Alpental

December 5, 2013, Alpental

12/5/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by samthaman on 12/5/13 12:03pm
Skiing was fun on the mellow slopes but got exciting when slope angle changed and necessitated edging the firm crust below the light top layer. The lower mountain could have used a bit more coverage...

Looking at a possible weekend trip and wondering if it is worth it? Did you go all the way to the top of 2?
Thanks!

Worth it may be a bit subjective.   The coverage in most of the other places is certainly better but it's a further drive, the rain crust is pretty pronounced under the top veerrry light 6-8" new snow and requires a feather light touch or low angle collection zone not to hit it, and it makes for difficult skinning without crampons.

I was hoping for much more new accumulation at the top than the bottom, but that was not the case. Below 3800ft it's less about skiing and more about an adventure.

author=Mofro link=topic=29876.msg125329#msg125329 date=1386351494]
Below 3800ft it's less about skiing and more about an adventure.

Well said!  I'm sitting here procrastinating, when I should be up skiing, because the last few days have been....adventurous.  Where the skiing's a bit lacking, it sure is beautiful up there right now though, anybody touring at the pass will at least have some million dollar views!

Thanks for the photos; they're great.

lil nash looks cold.
b

Reply to this TR

december-5-2013-alpental
samthaman
2013-12-05 20:03:08