Home > Trip Reports > Dec 5, 2013, Paradise environs

Dec 5, 2013, Paradise environs

12/5/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 12/5/13 11:02am
Ed Lansing and I met Andy C at Longmire. Gate opened a few minutes early but there was a Ranger going around telling all to chain up even 4WD ??? Some discussion among all and We were about to bail when Ranger came back and rescinded the order to chain up 4WDs.??? Oh well we were 1st in the paradise lot and happy to be there. Skinned up to base of Pan point(4" ski pen ) and dropped into Edith basin east facing after knocking a mini cornice over. It was probaly the steepest slope we skied with good boot top powder. No problems.
Anything west facing or west sides of gulleys were only 2" on hard slip crust. Made our way over to Bundys and skied a couple laps there being careful to stay on the east sides of ridges/gulleys. Mazama back bowl would been great but we didn't make it over there. We graciously left it for the Friday crowd.  Not much sun ,16F and flat light so it should be good again tomorrow. 9 skiers total in the area
Thanks for the report, Robie!

Potential Tatooshers take heed, the road from Stevens Canyon Jct to the E end of Reflection lake was plowed sometime in the past 2-3 days.  Any warmup may melt the inch or two of new and expose considerable bare asphalt.  Your tax dollars at work!   ???

Narada Face is rocks & brush.  Trail to Paradise hiking only.

author=TwoFortyJeff link=topic=29875.msg125308#msg125308 date=1386304009]
I want that hat!

Careful, he's probably armed.

Sorry to bail early, but I made it to the grandson's 10th b'dy celebration with an hour to spare--should have taken half that to do some stretches before I drove to Olympia--once there, my right leg (gas pedal leg) kind of froze in place and I had a hard time walking--but nothing that Alleve, stretching, tiger balm, beer, wine, and sleep couldn't cure. LOL

author=vogtski link=topic=29875.msg125306#msg125306 date=1386303428]
Potential Tatooshers take heed, the road from Stevens Canyon Jct to the E end of Reflection lake was plowed sometime in the past 2-3 days.  Any warmup may melt the inch or two of new and expose considerable bare asphalt.  Your tax dollars at work!   ???  ...

WTF?  Probably did not have much to do during the 3 sunny days the park was closed.

Potential Tatooshers take heed, the road from Stevens Canyon Jct to the E end of Reflection lake was plowed sometime in the past 2-3 days.

Can't see how plowing the reflection lake road would have helped the budget ???
But it sure would take away from winter recreation by XC skiers and snowshoers and backcountry skiers accessing the Tatoosh ??

I wonder if they were training a new snow plow operator.  I heard they were short [lol Rusty] on operators again this year.  And that the guy they hired after last winter couldn't/wouldn't operate the rotary plow.

author=Andrew Carey link=topic=29875.msg125394#msg125394 date=1386457159]
I wonder if they were training a new snow plow operator.  I heard they shot an operator again this year. 

I fixed it for you Andy.

Reply to this TR

dec-5-2013-paradise-environs
Robie
2013-12-05 19:02:14