Home > Trip Reports > December 1, 2013, Stevens Pass

December 1, 2013, Stevens Pass

12/1/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by telemack on 12/1/13 1:09pm
Desperate for some winter adventure, I braved wind and rain for most of the day.  I used two pairs of rock skis, but there is a pretty firm base---just not nearly enough coverage to rampage in the woods yet.  Plenty of stumps and logs showing.  I've never seen so much water running in the creeks on the slopes!  The head patrol guy said the area had gotten 5" of precip, mostly rain, over the last couple days.  At least it's smooshing the weak layers.
After drying out with the windshield defroster at lunch, I skinned Skid Road to the Marley Cave and up to the lifts, where I saw the new Jupiter Express spinning but, sadly, still closed.  Some patrollers said they wanted to open Tye Mill tomorrow.  Dragonback to Tye chutes was pure virgin mank, riding runnels and mounds of slush.
The rain was taking WAY TOO LONG to turn to the much-awaited SNOW    >:(
Thanks for the intel, which corroborates the Doppler.

Braver than I.  Got there at 8:30, it was raining hard. Temp was not encouraging. Wallowed through parking lot slush to the lodge. Couldn't bring myself to purchase a ticket and get a complimentary garbage bag. But did get two candy canes from santa on the patio. Checked in with patrol about uphill travel. They were great but questioned our sanity. Decided to fold the cards and head home. Yup… a selective day. Good job telemack!  Was a good day for testing goretex or a garbage bag.

Thanks---I should have grabbed the plastic poncho much earlier, and left my wallet and phone in the car ::)

Wow… nice adventuring mac!

I'm glad I missed the rain… and it looks like the weather has turned for the better.

I'm looking to get out on Monday and hoping the conditions stay cold.

Reply to this TR

december-1-2013-stevens-pass
telemack
2013-12-01 21:09:58